• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoke or deep fry the Turkey?

Motorboat40

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 5, 2020
Can't decide if I want to smoke or deep fry the turkey this year? Maybe a dumb idea but has anyone every smoked it for and maybe and hour or so to get the smoke flovor into it then dipped it into the deep fry to finish it off? Maybe I should try that on a chicken 1st and see how it turns out. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

rjob

Smoke Blower
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 15, 2015
I think Jeff covers that in his cook book.
So yes it can be done.
Try searching his posted receipe archives.

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Some don't like smoked turkey(I don't understand how) so I usually smoke one and fry one. Smoked always wins but they both come out awesome.

Motorboat40

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 5, 2020
Ok thank guys I thought I had an original idea but looks like it's been done before! I will give it a try

Motorboat40

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 5, 2020
Some don't like smoked turkey(I don't understand how) so I usually smoke one and fry one. Smoked always wins but they both come out awesome.
I haven't had deep fried in about 10 years but I remember it was the best turkey I ever had, smoked is awesome too thats why I was thinking to try doing both

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
I haven't had deep fried in about 10 years but I remember it was the best turkey I ever had, smoked is awesome too thats why I was thinking to try doing both
Birds are cheap your main cost in that is the $30 worth of peanut oil you gotta drop. I haven't personally ever tried it smoke-a-fried but I have done it with wings with good results. Don't think you can go wrong!

Jonok

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 4, 2019
Fried after a couple hours smoke is the only way to go on a wild. Inject 1/4# per pound with strained herb butter prior to cooking. Makes shoe leather palatable.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Smoke It!
By God, smoke that sucker!
This is a smoking forum is not?"

:emoji_laughing:

Just kidding around.
Smoked, fried or smofried, anyway ya do it, if done right it'll be great eats.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I like fried turkey better than smoked, but as said above, the peanut oil is costly. And we wouldn’t use it except for the turkey. So it would take up a big spot in the fridge, for just one use per year. This year I’m smoking a brisket!
Al

schlotz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Maybe a bit more classic approach but with a kicked up twist. I use the rotisserie on the gas grill and a smoking tube. The rotisserie really helps create a very moist bird that is perfectly golden brown, with great skin! The smoker tube flavors the bird perfectly. Been a goto recipe for the last 15 years.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Smo-fried might have done one or a bunch of them lol

610e9581_DSC02059.jpg

81225b38_DSC02058.jpg

Those may have been the first I did and have done them almost every year since and most times multiple turkeys per year

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Smofried does sound delicious. I am not physically up to the challenge of Deep Frying and I don't trust my SIL to do it without burning up Dinner and Himself!😆
I have to look into those Butterball Indoor Turkey Fryers...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.