Smash Burgers - First Attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good Evening

I tried my hand at a smash burger this evening. I can see why everyone loves the smash burgers - it was great!

Each patty started out as 4 ounces, melted some grated cheddar, topped with grilled red onions, burger sauce, and on a grilled bun. I did these on my Weber Spirit gas grill, and I flipped my GrillGrates over to use the flat side.

Recap of the cook:
  • 80/20 Ground Chuck - 4 ounce patties
  • Killer Hogs AP Rub
  • Surface temp of the GrillGrates was around 450*
  • 3-4 minutes per side
I also mixed up a burger sauce that turned out really good. Mayo, ketchup, relish, and some of the Killer Hogs AP Rub.

The only thing I would change is go a little heavier on the seasoning or possibly add a steak seasoning to the patties as well. Also, I can see where a nice burger press would be handy, as I was just using a large grill spatula.

Burger Pattie 1.JPG

Burger Grill 2.JPG

Burger Board 3.JPG

Burger Split 4.JPG

I just get it good and hot and use a burger press to smash them very thin. Whole key is getting that crust , I do like to smash them in butter.

I just get it good and hot and use a burger press to smash them very thin. Whole key is getting that crust , I do like to smash them in butter.

What he said!!!!

See this thread for a discussion on Smash Burger tools. My vote is for the Voltrath 2lb "steak weight" but it's a little pricey. I had tried using the griddle flipper but under smashing pressure it was just wanting to bend. Works sort of OK if you use the scraper blade to hold it down, but the Volrath is the king mack daddy of smash burger tools (NSF and stainless).

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/ultimate-smash-burger-tool-for-griddle.275693/

Good looking smash burgers - me likey.

Point for sure.
Chris

What he said!!!!

See this thread for a discussion on Smash Burger tools. My vote is for the Voltrath 2lb "steak weight" but it's a little pricey. I had tried using the griddle flipper but under smashing pressure it was just wanting to bend. Works sort of OK if you use the scraper blade to hold it down, but the Volrath is the king mack daddy of smash burger tools (NSF and stainless).

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/ultimate-smash-burger-tool-for-griddle.275693/

Thanks for sharing! I see Lodge presses in stores. Any experience with those? How do you tell if they are flat or have the grooves?

Good looking smash burgers - me likey.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks Chris!

I forgot to mention I actually put a piece of parchment paper over the burger and then hit it with the press. Flip , rinse and repeat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky