Smash Burger Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I like to brown hamburger on the Flat Top and thought why not just make smash burgers. They cook so quick. Threw this together and quite pleased with it.

20211217_141714.jpg 20211217_142219.jpg 20211217_142245.jpg 20211217_144727.jpg 20211217_152811.jpg

Looks great . I have a pot of chili in my dutch oven right now . Ground a brisket yesterday .
So you crumbled the burgers into the chili ?
Nice idea .

Great idea. My will power would have eaten the burgers for lunch and had meatless:( chili for diner.

We were on the same wave length. I had that very same thought. Cheese and onions on it!
Jim
Sad thing is I'm still full from lunch... treated myself to the Pizza Ranch buffet after dentist visit, 3 plates of chicken, mashed taters/gravy, and pizza!

Ryan

• Wow
Reactions: JLeonard
I haven't seen any whole briskets in awhile. Got one left in the freezer. Seen any good deals lately?
The last " Good deal " I saw was at the Kroger in Pigeon Forge last June . Lol .
I bought this one middle of November . Sell by date was December 17th . So I just let it hang out in the garage fridge . It was $4.59 a pound . Down from $4.99 . I've been grinding and mixing with pork butt to stretch it out . Can't even tell it's not all beef .

Brokenhandle Brokenhandle had to look up the pizza ranch. Glad there isnt one around here...I'd weigh as much as a circus horse.
Jim
Thankfully it's about 40 miles away, but when having dental checkups or going to see accountant most appointments are made for 11 am. Then it's buffet time! I usually skip the salad bar and soft ice cream and dessert pizza :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
I love making hamburgers to put in chili. Get a nice crust on the burger and cut up in bite size pieces.
Try using stew meat for chili in place of ground. I still use ground sometimes, but stew meat is my number one choice for chili. If I do use ground beef, I usually add an equal amount of hot breakfast sausage. Ground hot chorizo might work even better in the mix, but I haven't tried it yet.

Reactions: crazymoon
I love making hamburgers to put in chili. Get a nice crust on the burger and cut up in bite size pieces.
That's some good-lookin' chili. I'm thinking smashing the burgers and browning them makes for some good flavor.
So you crumbled the burgers into the chili ?

Trying to brown beef in a pan does not work well. Just steams. Browning on a flat top works well. Making smash burgers gets a really nice crust without drying out and only take a minute or so. Hard to tell from pic but they had a nice crust. I nibbled on a couple as they came off. So moist and tasty. I used a meat chopper while they in a bowl to crumble.

I haven't seen any whole briskets in awhile. Got one left in the freezer. Seen any good deals lately?
The last " Good deal " I saw was at the Kroger in Pigeon Forge last June . Lol .

Market Street has them for $1.49. I pulled one from freezer. Was planning on Christmas but I took it out to early. Usually takes things several days to thaw in my beer fridge but it was thawed in 2 days which was several days ago now. Guess I will just smoke it tomorrow. Still have another in freezer so guess I will pass on sale. We lucky around here in North Texas as they go on sale for under $2 fairly often.

Heck of a nice job on that chili Brian!

Thanks Jake. For a quick chili this was really good. That Stub's is pretty tasty stuff.

Looks real good Brian!
We are still waiting for a few cold days, then it will be chili time for sure!!
Al

Trying to brown beef in a pan does not work well. Just steams. Browning on a flat top works well. Making smash burgers gets a really nice crust without drying out and only take a minute or so. Hard to tell from pic but they had a nice crust. I nibbled on a couple as they came off. So moist and tasty. I used a meat chopper while they in a bowl to crumble.
I've experienced the "steamed" meat problem.

I've found that if I render some bacon in my dutch oven then heat the grease until it's very hot, then I can brown small amounts of beef effectively in the dutch oven, doing a bit, removing it when browned, allowing the dutch oven to reheat, etc., and repeating until all the beef is browned works pretty well.

After all the beef is browned, then you can saute the onions, etc. in the dutch oven and then add remaining ingredients, effectively de-glazing the dutch oven and incorporating the fond into the chili.

I have used cubed chuck (recently smoked instead of browned) in the past but I really like the idea of trying browned ground beef next time I make a batch of chili.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky