Question about 22" vs 28" 2 burner griddles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
I'm shopping around to get a griddle next month, I'll only be cooking for a few people so I'm eyeing smaller ones, if I got a 22" and had 1 burner all the way up for Smash burgers how much of the other half could I actually use at a low temp to keep things warm or something like toast buns? I'm looking at a Blackstone 22" pro model which costs the same as the 28" non pro I have on my list. 22" would be enough cooking area for me, and the pro looks nicer. But I'm wondering if the heat from the 1st burner on max would carry over too much and not leave me much cooking surface. And if I had the other burner around 250f I won't end up with much actual 250f surface to cook on. But I've never owned a griddle so maybe my brains off here that's why I'm asking so I can find out.

Would anyone here recommend a 22" for someone who wanted to do Smash Burgers or should I be looking at a 28?

Reactions: JLeonard
You need 2 burners to have 2 zones imo. gave my son my 36" and bought a single burner 17', bought a wind shield with a warming rack, works great for the 2 of us.

I'm shopping around to get a griddle next month, I'll only be cooking for a few people so I'm eyeing smaller ones, if I got a 22" and had 1 burner all the way up for Smash burgers how much of the other half could I actually use at a low temp to keep things warm or something like toast buns? I'm looking at a Blackstone 22" pro model which costs the same as the 28" non pro I have on my list. 22" would be enough cooking area for me, and the pro looks nicer. But I'm wondering if the heat from the 1st burner on max would carry over too much and not leave me much cooking surface. And if I had the other burner around 250f I won't end up with much actual 250f surface to cook on. But I've never owned a griddle so maybe my brains off here that's why I'm asking so I can find out.

Would anyone here recommend a 22" for someone who wanted to do Smash Burgers or should I be looking at a 28?
I upgraded from the 17 (single burner) to the 22" for the same reason.My wife is a bigger enabler than the guys on here. She bought me the 17 for Christmas last year.The 22" fit on the same stand as my 17". unless you are planning family reunions weekly, for a dual household like ours the 22 is great. I'll cook my onions and stuff on one side, then turn it off. The residual heat from the other side will keep stuff warm, but not over cook. Do I wish it were bigger? Yes, but it wouldn't be easily toted to the camper. We bough both from camping world when they had flash sales. I think I paid about $135 for he 22" and was happy. Mama got the 17 for less than $100. One burner is not enough, even for just two. 'Specially if you dig smash burgers, or philly cheese.
Just my $.02

BS 22.jpg

If you have room to store one. Go as big as you can. There's no replacement for displacement!

This is good advice, unfortunately, my issue is I lack 2 things. Money and patience. I could save up for 3 months and get something nice nice. But the need instantly side of me is looking at smaller but at least good quality. I'll have about $400 to spend, and while I know there are 4 burner griddles out there for that price. I know they'll be pretty meh. Blackstone has a 4 burner that only costs $22 more than the 2 burner pro model I'm looking at.

If I wait I'll be unhappy having to wait and if I buy a bigger but cheap griddle I'll end up being unhappy with the quality. The BS pro model 2 burner I see is only 22" which seems on the small side, even just for a few people. Maybe I'll find a way to wait until December and get a 3 burner.

Reactions: JLeonard
This is good advice, unfortunately, my issue is I lack 2 things. Money and patience. I could save up for 3 months and get something nice nice. But the need instantly side of me is looking at smaller but at least good quality. I'll have about $400 to spend, and while I know there are 4 burner griddles out there for that price. I know they'll be pretty meh. Blackstone has a 4 burner that only costs $22 more than the 2 burner pro model I'm looking at.

If I wait I'll be unhappy having to wait and if I buy a bigger but cheap griddle I'll end up being unhappy with the quality. The BS pro model 2 burner I see is only 22" which seems on the small side, even just for a few people. Maybe I'll find a way to wait until December and get a 3 burner.
Just for shits and giggles, you might want to walk your local Walmart. Sometimes they have clearance stuff not in the paper. Buddy bought the 4 burner for$269.00 but had to assemble.

Just for shits and giggles, you might want to walk your local Walmart. Sometimes they have clearance stuff not in the paper. Buddy bought the 4 burner for$269.00 but had to assemble.

You know that's a good idea, the 2 Black Stones I'm looking at are both at Walmart anyway. And I remember a few years ago people on here bragging about getting $900 Masterbuilts for $250 or something crazy. I wouldn't even care if it had a few scratches and dents, as long as it works.

They have a 28" 2 burner with 2 air fryer baskets for $397 that's close to what I'd like. Maybe they'll have an open box one with a few scrapes for half off lol.

You know that's a good idea, the 2 Black Stones I'm looking at are both at Walmart anyway.
I bought mine on clearance for $106.00 at Walmart . One of 2 times I've been in a Walmart . It's the first generation with the front grease drain . Got it several years ago .
There's a thing called Brick seek ? Or something . You can search the discounted items in your area .
I cook for 3 , and the 28" is plenty big for us . They also fold up for storage if needed .
I'll put this up , because where the meat is , there's a burner . 2 controls , so you burn 2 or 4 .
20210430_175424.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky