smaller peice of belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nogoer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
Newtown CT
Finally!

A new Shoprite has opened up that is much more conveniant for me to get pork belly. We went in to check it out and when i saw the nice thick slabs of fresh belly i couldn't ignore it calling my name.

I have done bacon enough to know what i am doing for the most part, but all those times have been with a whole belly cut down into normal slabs. This time i just grabbed a package of two peices as sort of an easy refresher. They are nice and thick around 2-3inches, but are only about 2 inches wide where a normal trimmed belly would be closer to 12inches. In total they are almost 3 lbs, but like i said thinner peices.

So i am just wondering what everyone thinks the thinner width would call for in adjustment of curing time? They are skin on too, and i'm figuring a 4-5 day cure in spite of the 3inch thickness is going to be plenty.

Thanks

cool.gif

If you liie the thinner slabs of bacon I would keep on looking till you fine it. Now me on the other hand I want mine as thick as I can get it. Then after I smoke it I like it sliced about 1/4" or so. Pure Heaven.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky