Small gas leak between the end of hose and the swivel connector

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

suefourmet

Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
I'm on my third  ng hose to connect my smoker to my natural gas pipe from the house.  I have installed a needle valve and everything is nice and tight and leak checked...except..the swivel connector/adaptor at the end of the hose has a slight leak when I have the needle valve closed.  As soon as I open the valve, the leak stops.  Obviously has something to do with pressure, but all three of the hoses I've tried leak at that factory installed swivel connector on the hose - no where else.  Anything I can or should do? Thanks. ( BTW the smoker Masterbuilt 30 works fine.)

Solved - had needle valve turned the wrong way
wife.gif

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Righty tighty.....   lefty loosey.......

There should NEVER be a leak anywhere on a gas connection....    If it is a crimp fitting, have the gas company or propane company replace the fitting with the correct fitting and re crimp it in place ......  OR BUY AMERICAN MADE......

Last edited:
Thanks, Dave.  It is a sturgis and my understanding was that it is American Made.\

http://www.mbsturgis.com/contact

You are correct about made in the USA....  There's there contact page....   let them know...  I noticed they have one of their items under recall when looking this up...

Good luck...  may I recommend sending them pictures with numbers visible along with an explanation of the leak....

Dave

Righty tighty.....   lefty loosy

Dave, this is not always correct on gas.
Solved - had needle valve turned the wrong way  ... 
wife.gif

I was referring to the needle valve the op commented on....   You are correct....  a POL connector is left handed threads....   and connections to compressed gas bottle can be left or right handed to prevent the user from connecting the wrong regulator to an incorrect bottle...  

Dave, I didn't mean to be picky, I just wanted folks to look before they released a ton of gas.

Thanks for the reply. So many folks get their feelings hurt for no reason. Joe. :beercheer:

That was intended to be a half-assed-joke to suefourmet.... "turning the needle valve the wrong way"...

No harm no foul...... Your point was well taken and left hand thread can be found in the darndest places....    Lug nuts on some early car models... 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky