Small Cheese Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Norwester55

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 1, 2018
Oregon
Just smoked a bit that I picked up at Costco and Trader Joes. PSA- don't trust Trader Joes package sealing. I left a few packs of their cheese in the fridge for a month and had to toss a nasty dried out package of Stilton Bleu. The other two had mold on them but it was easily carved off. I probably should have known better.
scuse the off center pic.
IMG_20200129_230545.jpg
A couple lbs each of Jarlsberg Swiss, and Kerry Gold Dubliner. About 3 lbs of Dutch Gouda. The smaller cheddar looking stuff is Cotswald Double Gloucester Chive and Onion and there's a couple small wedges of cave aged Bleu. I've got another couple lbs of Jarlsberg in the fridge but I'll do that later along with 4-5 lbs of Walmart Mozzarella for pizza topping. I've already got almost 20 lbs of medium cheddar in the fridge so I may be done for the winter after that. I'll let this sit overnight and seal it up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well with what you have in the fridge & what you have planned, it sure looks like you won't need to be smoking any cheese for a while!
Al

Good looking batch of cheese right there.

Point for sure
Chris

Got a nice variety of cheeses there, looks real good. Just did a batch also...with high temp of 30 degrees it's perfect weather for it. What's the Kerry gold dubliner like? I've never had it, but seen it in the store yesterday and thought maybe next smoke

Ryan

Thanks for the likes guys!

Well with what you have in the fridge & what you have planned, it sure looks like you won't need to be smoking any cheese for a while!
Al
Probably the better half of the cheddar will be given away. I got a good buy on it last summer and got a "little" carried away. :)
Good looking batch of cheese right there.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris!
Got a nice variety of cheeses there, looks real good. Just did a batch also...with high temp of 30 degrees it's perfect weather for it. What's the Kerry gold dubliner like? I've never had it, but seen it in the store yesterday and thought maybe next smoke

Ryan
I was getting burnt out on all the cheddar I have and tried to mix it up on this batch. Actually this was the 1st time trying Kerry Gold and I have a new favorite cheese! Its a mild cheddar but it has a sweet creamery buttery like taste to it. I may have lied about being done smoking cheese soon because I'll have to do some more of it. I used pecan dust for this load but if I smoke any more Dubliner I'll probably go with something milder like alder. Same for the Chive n' Onion. I'll see how it is when it mellows.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky