Slow Learner?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bertman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Heartland of America
Some of you might remember following along or offering advice a couple of years ago when I volunteered to smoke ribs for my in-laws' Christmas gathering (around 50 people). I smoked 9 lbs of beef ribs, 17 lbs of pork ribs, and a 14 lb turkey that year.

This year my wife, her siblings and cousins were sitting around after Thanksgiving talking about how good that was and we should do it again. They did ask me, of course, but it wasn't like I was going to say no.

So... at 8:00 this morning I put just over 22 lbs of beef ribs in the smoker with a 5lb brisket, and later today I'll add almost 10 lbs of pork ribs (after I can pull off the beef assortment).

I tried to find (last minute) some rib racks that would work, but the ones I found were too small to fit in my MES. This time around, it should go smoothly, and I learned a lot last time. And if this becomes a tradition, I will do  more thorough search for rib racks.

The beef ribs on the top three shelves with the brisket below.

Pork ribs rubbed and patiently waiting their turn...

Smoking Central. I am smoking inside the garage today because it is mid-30s and drizzly here. I put apple chips in the tray, and have the tube full of PitMaster's Choice pellets in the mailbox mod.

By the way, Merry Christmas to you all!

Beef Ribs were taken off at noon, mopped with apple juice/apple butter/mustard/BBQ sauce, foiled, and placed in the oven at 225 degrees.

Coming along nicely.

Pork ribs were added, and I moved the brisket up to the top rack (someone here previously has mentioned never placing pork on top of beef)

Within the hour, the brisket reached 170, so I pulled it, mopped it, wrapped it in foil, and added it to the oven as well. Waiting to hit 190.

The kitchen smells amazing right now!

Beef ribs are as done as they need to be. They will be warmed up tomorrow morning. The brisket is resting in a cooler surrounded by towels (I forgot to get a picture of the brisket!). These are the beef ribs:

...and the pork ribs are off the smoker and into the oven for a couple of hours.

I remembered to take a pic of the brisket:

The brisket and the beef ribs are a little on the tough side, but I'm going to warm them for a couple of hours tomorrow, and I'm hoping that will tenderize them. They aren't bad, just not as tender as I'd like.

Looking forward to watching everyone dig in tomorrow!

I meant to post a before and after photo, but barely remembered to get an "after" pic. Funny how good food will do that to you! The meat was well received, and I got some compliments. We had less numbers than usual, and the meal was earlier, so there was some leftovers, especially the beef ribs. If this becomes a tradition, I've learned a few things that will make it easier, but still learn something new every time.

From L to R: Brisket, pork ribs, beef ribs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky