Slaw style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

what do you prefer ?

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mosparky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 11, 2015
St. Louis area, Missouri
Someone recently posted to a necrothread by Foamheart re his mom's coleslaw and that reminded me, I been meaning to attempt a poll on the subject.
I enjoy a little slaw sometimes (wife hates it). In my adventures I've noticed slaw seems to have 2 cuts and 2 basic sauce categories. I don't eat enough of it to really have a personal favorite style.
Cuts are either shredded or grated (chipped). Sauces are either vinegar and oil or mayo (miracle whip) based. Which makes for 4 choices. Which do you prefer ?
Not really looking for recipes, but post them up if you like.

Seems to be a love it or hate it with coleslaw. I love chopped or shredded with a mayo based dressing, and always make it for pulled pork sandwiches.

Shredded with a Duke's mayo base. I put a couple heaping TBSP of the Duke's in a bowl, add a splash or 2 of white vinegar, a squeeze of fresh lemon, coarse pepper, and some sugar. It's all done by taste. Pour over the shredded cabbage, add in a couple of TSP of dill relish, mix well then let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Taste and add salt and more pepper as needed. Also can add chopped, pickled jalapenos for something a little different...

Reactions: 912smoker
Love the KFC slaw .
I like most types of slaw , but mayo based and shredded on PP or with some fried fish is hard to beat .
Totally agree, and since it's only to two of us and we don't want to be eating slaw for a week. KFC fits the bill in both taste and quantity. I've tried the local grocers and I didn't care for it. Kinda bland. We've made our own in the past but if we're not doing corned beef and cabbage in the same time frame then we waste a half a head of cabbage. Neither my wife or I are huge fans of cooked cabbage outside of it being paired with corned beef.

Chris

Probably not popular, but I prefer vinegar based slaw and not sweet. IMHO it balances out the smoke and spice of BBQ including a pile of it on a good pulled pork sandwich.

Jason

Reactions: negolien
Cabbage (grated or shredded), mayo, splash of white vinegar, a little sugar, celery seed, salt/coarse black pepper...as for amounts, I go by taste. I think the toughest part is getting the balance of vinegar/sugar "right" (to suit your taste).

Occasionally, I'll add a shredded carrot for snicks and giggles.

I read someone's post this morning where they add a shredded granny smith apple...that sounded YUMMY (which is why I'm perusing slaw recipes right now!).

Reactions: negolien
I buy the bagged shredded cabbage with carrot when in the mood for coleslaw. Keeps for weeks in the fridge and don't have to buy a whole head unless my wife is in the mood for her cabbage dishes.
If just coleslaw, I like a mayo (use Duke's) sauce and thin with water.
If looking to top pp then I want an oil and vinegar sauce with a few shakes of Carolina mop or Texas Pete's to tang it up.
Lots of fresh crack mixed peppercorns to either

I' am super picky about my slaw there's only been two kinds I liked. One is KFC lol I can jack one of them large sides up with a quickness. the second is from Safeway their deli makes some and it's pretty good too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky