1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Skin Off Before Smoking Turkey

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Preacher Man, Feb 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Smoking Fanatic

I'm planning to smoke a turkey this week for pulling and using for meals throughout the week.

I love my MES 30, but it just doesn't get hot enough to make good skin. I'm considering skinning it before smoking so that the rub can be on the meat instead of on the skin that'll just get tossed to the side anyway. My fear is that the meat will dry out doing it like this.

Anybody have any experience doing this?

My other thought is to smoke skin on and then pull it off and stick it under a broiler to crisp it up before throwing it back in with the turkey.

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Put the rub Under the skin. Leave the skin on for protection, then 2 options...
    Pull the bird when the IT reaches 145 and finish the the entire bird plus crisp the skin in a 425-450 Oven. Or, smoke the bird to desired IT, remove the skin and Crisp it at the 425 temp.
    I find it easier to under cook and put the whole bird in the oven...JJ

3. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I have had good results with brined skinless whole breasts.An injection with STPP works wonders too.Both done with a drip pan below the birds with ~ an inch of liquid in it (white wine usually) at relatively lower temps for poultry 250-275*.

4. I brine skinless chicken breast and they turn out very tender and juicy every time. CHICKEN DONE.jpg

Attached Files:

5. In addition to my prior reply, I use a "light" dusting of Killer Hogs AP seasoning along with a heavier dusting of Killer Hogs original rub.

6. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

There you some great ideas so tell us what you do and how it turns out.

Warren