Simple rib smoking tutorial

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I have been grilling ribs for years, most not coming out great. I am looking to step up my game, starting over would best describe where I think i am at. I am ordering a smoker this afternoon and want to find a simple rib smoking tutorial that will just go over the basic process. I want to start with the basics and go from there. Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe ribs aren't the best place to start, any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Welcome to SMF!!

I would recommend going to youtube and looking up Aaron Franklin ribs... his video will make your adventure better - not allowed to post the link here or I would for ease of reference.

Also, while ribs aren't rocket science, a pork shoulder or pork butt as it's also known is a really easy place to start as it's quite hard to mess those up.

Good luck and report back with pictures when you get up and running.

I gave up on my MB gasser because I couldn't keep lower temps. The Smoke Vault may be a better unit, though.
Keep in mind that you don't have to stick to the 225 thing.
240+ works but you have to account for it getting done quicker....

I’ve given up on all the wrapping and unwrapping and won’t look back. I have changed to cooking at 250-275 , I spritz every half hour to 45 minutes and cook to around 195F. At that point I just do the bend test with tongs. When they start to crack when picked up in the middle I’m done. Perfect bite off the bone and tender.

To start with the basics, with a brand new smoker, I go with chicken.

It's a cheap way to start learning your new smoker.

As far as ribs go; For me it's all about learning to recognize when they are done. Smoke between 225* and 275* and bend test and or probe test.

Good luck with your new smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky