• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Simple question about stripping old fridge

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 5, 2019
Hey all. I attached a pic of the fridge I’m gonna start tearing apart. I messed up my last project and was no longer happy with it so I’m starting over. My question is how to remove the chrome pin striping and Frigidaire emblem at the top without damaging them so I can strip off the paint? I have very little experience working with metal. Thx. 91D67893-9353-4AA8-A645-7CE93C5E7880.jpeg

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Well you don't have many choices, a lot of the old fridges had screws from the inside, if you are taking it apart take the door liner out and see if its screwed or clips. Good luck keep us informed, like watching projects coming together

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Like mike243 mike243 said , try from inside. If not, take a heat gun. Had an old one years ago that was basically siliconed on.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 5, 2019
Had a progressive afternoon dismantling this thing. But now I’m at a crappy step, removing the tar from the inside. The stuff on the bottom was brittle and came right off, but the stuff on the sides and ceiling is still sticky and really tough going. Any tips? 01DDBB65-08C3-4BB1-918B-A4A4D5202464.jpeg 0EA79E63-B6E4-462A-9CC4-2753B86961CF.jpeg 16943D35-DFE4-4413-BD22-07D556C78BF8.jpeg

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
A heat gun and a putty knife oh and a lot of elbow grease

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 5, 2019
A heat gun and a putty knife oh and a lot of elbow grease
I got most of it off but there is still some tar visible. It is impossible to scrape off everything. Should I clean it with a solvent now? Burn it off? There’s not much left. Just a bit here and there.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
Solvent would work allowing plenty of time to ventilate, however you would be introducing a toxic chemical to an environment that will be holding food in. Have you considered TSP?

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Is the freezer a frost free model or an older one with coils in the shelves?

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 5, 2019
Solvent would work allowing plenty of time to ventilate, however you would be introducing a toxic chemical to an environment that will be holding food in. Have you considered TSP?
I haven’t considered anything yet. Never done this before. Would TSP get it pretty cleaned up? I might even have some on hand.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
I haven’t considered anything yet. Never done this before. Would TSP get it pretty cleaned up? I might even have some on hand.
Might be a challenge on the tar adhesive not sure but for years of grime it should work fine. Works for taking oil stains off concrete so instructions on the container claim.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 5, 2019
Another question I have is about the paint on the inside portion of the fridge. Do I have to scrape that off as well? I have no clue what kind of paint it is but I’m wondering if it will burn when I smoke food and end up ruining it. I haven’t seen any other posts in my search for an answer to this.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
You haven’t told us what your intentions are with the soon to be smoker. What temperatures are you looking to achieve? I would think that would be a factor on the type of finish you would use.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 5, 2019
You haven’t told us what your intentions are with the soon to be smoker. What temperatures are you looking to achieve? I would think that would be a factor on the type of finish you would use.
You’re right. Sorry about that. I plan to put in some sort of electric element to heat it and do the mailbox mod as the smoke source. I’ll likely mostly use it for low temp smoked around 225 but I’d like to make it have the potential to get up to around 400 or so. Haven’t made up my mind on the exhaust yet but leaning towards 4” out the back and 90° elbow.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
Why even paint the inside? Once you run a few smokes it won’t look new anyways. Plus you aren’t worrying about off gassing, save time and money to boot. If the interior metal is galvanized then you might have issues.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 5, 2019
I’m not painting it. It’s painted already. I’m talking about the inside of the fridge where food used to go.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
Sorry, I missed post #14. If no one who’s done a fridge mod steps in with suggestions I’d crank it up to maximum heat and see what happens. If it starts to blister or starts to smell like burnt paint then you’ll have your answer. Maybe take a heat gun and test a small area? You only need to heat the test area to 400F or so.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 5, 2019
Sorry, I missed post #14. If no one who’s done a fridge mod steps in with suggestions I’d crank it up to maximum heat and see what happens. If it starts to blister or starts to smell like burnt paint then you’ll have your answer. Maybe take a heat gun and test a small area? You only need to heat the test area to 400F or so.
I’m surprised this is not more widely discussed in these fridge build threads. All old fridges are painted on the inside....

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.