1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Silly Vacuum Sealer Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pokey, Oct 1, 2010.

1. pokey

pokey Meat Mopper

I just got a Foodsaver and haven't yet used it. I read somewhere that if I vacuum seal cured smoked salmon, it will last forever. Does that assume frozen? I've read of people vacuum sealing cheese after smoking to let it age for a couple of weeks. I assume that's not frozen. I was wondering if there are guidelines regarding how long foods will last refrigerated, frozen, etc.

Thanks,

2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I would assume that the salmon would be frozen as well. I cure/smoke/seal/freeze my salmon all the time and it lasts a long time in the freezer. How long well I can't say for sure. For one it never usually lasts that long but if I were to leave it in there I'm sure it would be fine for over a year. I eat walleye and panfish that are sealed and frozen for well over and year and they are just fine and there isn't any freezer burnning going on. As long as you get a good seal it will last a long time in the freezer. I'm sure like everthing else eventually it will start degrading if it sits too long in the freezer but I don't know how long that would take?

3. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

I agree with RB.

He's pretty smart for a youngster.

4. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

I also agree with the young gun RBranstner. He does know his stuff.

5. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

So what are the qualifications for a Youngster? If I am a youngster what does that make you guys????? hahahahahahahehehehehehe

6. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Cheese you want to refrigerate not freeze. and the longer you wait the better it seems to get.

7. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

At least two days younger than me---Like "JustPassingThru".[​IMG]

Unlike Mark, I'm one of the old guys.