Silly Vacuum Sealer Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pokey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Monroe Twp, NJ
I just got a Foodsaver and haven't yet used it. I read somewhere that if I vacuum seal cured smoked salmon, it will last forever. Does that assume frozen? I've read of people vacuum sealing cheese after smoking to let it age for a couple of weeks. I assume that's not frozen. I was wondering if there are guidelines regarding how long foods will last refrigerated, frozen, etc.

Thanks,

I would assume that the salmon would be frozen as well. I cure/smoke/seal/freeze my salmon all the time and it lasts a long time in the freezer. How long well I can't say for sure. For one it never usually lasts that long but if I were to leave it in there I'm sure it would be fine for over a year. I eat walleye and panfish that are sealed and frozen for well over and year and they are just fine and there isn't any freezer burnning going on. As long as you get a good seal it will last a long time in the freezer. I'm sure like everthing else eventually it will start degrading if it sits too long in the freezer but I don't know how long that would take?

I would assume that the salmon would be frozen as well. I cure/smoke/seal/freeze my salmon all the time and it lasts a long time in the freezer. How long well I can't say for sure. For one it never usually lasts that long but if I were to leave it in there I'm sure it would be fine for over a year. I eat walleye and panfish that are sealed and frozen for well over and year and they are just fine and there isn't any freezer burnning going on. As long as you get a good seal it will last a long time in the freezer. I'm sure like everthing else eventually it will start degrading if it sits too long in the freezer but I don't know how long that would take?
I agree with RB.

He's pretty smart for a youngster.

icon_cool.gif

I also agree with the young gun RBranstner. He does know his stuff.

Cheese you want to refrigerate not freeze. and the longer you wait the better it seems to get.

So what are the qualifications for a Youngster? If I am a youngster what does that make you guys????? hahahahahahahehehehehehe
At least two days younger than me---Like "JustPassingThru".
wink.gif

Unlike Mark, I'm one of the old guys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky