Side by side

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
I'm a big fan of my inkbird IRF4S.
It has not let me down yet, is accurate and for a RF unit has amazing range.
That being said, I wanted a dependable inexpensive back up.
I opted for a Thermo pro TP 20S based on reviews.
Today is my first run with it.
I compared the calibrations against the inkbird in both boiling and ice water and found all 6 probes to be +- 2°F of each other on both ends.
In the pit, side by side both units are functioning well...
The inlbird currently reads 244°F...the thermo pro 243°F
I'd say close enough for all intents and purposes.
In the brisket it is real hard to tell but both have been fairly lock step in recording rising temps with the thermo pro lagging behind the inlbird about 30 seconds...but as I say, that's a hard comparison to judge.
I have yet to test the range of the thermo pro yet bit suspect it will work through the one door wall I need it to.
All in all, I'm happy so far with the thermo pro...
Well have to see about battery life but again, I suspect it will be adequate for 20 hour smokes.

I'm a big fan of my inkbird IRF4S.
It has not let me down yet, is accurate and for a RF unit has amazing range.
That being said, I wanted a dependable inexpensive back up.
I opted for a Thermo pro TP 20S based on reviews.
Today is my first run with it.
I compared the calibrations against the inkbird in both boiling and ice water and found all 6 probes to be +- 2°F of each other on both ends.
In the pit, side by side both units are functioning well...
The inlbird currently reads 244°F...the thermo pro 243°F
I'd say close enough for all intents and purposes.
In the brisket it is real hard to tell but both have been fairly lock step in recording rising temps with the thermo pro lagging behind the inlbird about 30 seconds...but as I say, that's a hard comparison to judge.
I have yet to test the range of the thermo pro yet bit suspect it will work through the one door wall I need it to.
All in all, I'm happy so far with the thermo pro...
Well have to see about battery life but again, I suspect it will be adequate for 20 hour smokes.
UPDATE on side by side...
The thermo pro range was very adequate around the yard and house...I never lost connection...the battery life from the two supplied AAA batteries was about 30 hours...I imagine a higher quality battery "might" last a bit longer but I will always plan on a fresh set of batteries after every long smoke.
Accuracy wise...compared to my inkbird, which I am confident of, the thermo pro was fairly identical throughout the entire brisket cook (about 17 hours start to finish)
I would/will trust this unit...I can not attest to its longevity or durability yet so I can't fully recommend it BUT it preformed EXACTLY as expected right.out of the box, no fuss, no muss...In that respect, I could recomend it as a trustworthy backup...
I'll continue to use this unit and update until from time to time until I'm comfortable with its durability and longevity or it fails.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky