Shrinkflation/Inflation Fighting Homemade Mayonnaise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Excellent post and I had to start doing no sugar and no carb just meats, fats, and some veggies because of inflammation as well. So I am starting to make my own sausage, and smoke different meats every week. Now I will make this mayo to go into the homemade coleslaw. Oh, how I miss my wife's Bake beans! Meaty, savory, delicious, and when on my plate stirred into my cole slaw with a bite of Smoked pork, brisket, any kind of ribs, pork belly, it is just a bite of heaven on earth!

Reactions: noboundaries
Tried to make the regular mayo and did something wrong so I have a jar of salad dressing. I will try again soon
When I was researching how to make the mayo, everyone I read said pouring the oil in too fast is the #1 mistake. It won't emulsify. Also, running the blender too fast can be an issue, too.

If you want, Google "how to save mayo that won't emulsify." Adding a bit of water seems to help.

Well, that worked from the first batch the oil had completely separated and was sitting at the top of the mason jar. So I repeated the recipe and used the oil off the top of the failure. I poured the oil in much slower and it came out perfect. Thank you, and it taste amazing.

2nd time a success! After watching some video's lady just puts everything in at once and uses stick blender, like you suggested, on low leaving on bottom until white starts to raise to the top. Less than a minute and done. I wanted to use whey to preserve and bought some Whey Protein Isolate. Not sure if this does the same thing as whey from yogurt or not? I also used sous vide to pasteurize eggs like daveomak daveomak suggested. Anyhow now can experiment to find out what I like.

20220815_141503.jpg

Last edited:
I’m late to the party on this but going to give it a whirl in my Vitamix. Dukes was over $6 at Kroger and around $5 at Meijers last weekend.

I’m late to the party on this but going to give it a whirl in my Vitamix. Dukes was over $6 at Kroger and around $5 at Meijers last weekend.

I used Sunflower oil. Not quite as good as Duke's but I will work on it. Walmart the cheapest place to buy Duke's. Just over $4.

This worked great and so easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
I used light olive oil and it came pretty close. I used robust olive oil and it was the right color but not quite the right taste. The key for me was using the vinegar and the mustard to make the mayo and then adding a little lemon juice after the mayo was complete. Just fantastic! I just used the mayo to make horseradish sauce like they make for prime rib and used it on brisket sandwiches and wow was it amazing.

Horseradish sauce

1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup mayo
1/4 cup horseradish add more if you want a stronger flavor
1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Splash of Worcestershire sauce.

Last edited:
The lemon juice and vinegar are both acids and should act as preservatives. I've gone a week and a half. Need to make some again soon.

I haven't had separation issues on any of the mayo or aioli I've made.

Do any of you have issues with separation? What can be added to extend use beyond 5 days?
I sous vide my eggs at 135 to pasteurize. Also add tablespoon whey and leave out for 8 hours, suppose to be good for 2 months after that. I think I messed up and bought powder whey. Suppose to get from top of yogurt.

Reactions: jcam222
I shigged my latest mayonnaise recipe off the Internet (recipes cannot be copyrighted). I made one addition. The result was my favorite of the several I've tried so far.

I'll try making adjustments to one recipe before moving on to another one. The one below was perfect for my taste on the first try.

One trick I've learned with my blender is to not try free-handing the SLOOOOOW oil pour. Use a squeeze bottle or rest the oil bottle on the blender as you pour. The slower the better.

1 egg room temperature
1 teaspoon salt
½ tsp granulated sugar
½ teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
approx 1 cup light olive oil

Pulse all but the oil to mix. Set blender speed on low and SLOWLY pour oil into blender. Continue pouring until it thickens and a "glug glug" sound is heard.

Makes about 12 oz mayonnaise.

I'm still experimenting with mayo recipes as a jar of mayo is back above $5.50 at my favorite grocer. The latest recipe below got the highest praise from my wife. It was as thick as store-bought and she said she liked it more than her favorite. She actually looked surprised when she said it.

A few changes. I pasteurized the egg (easy to do), changed the mustard and vinegar, and added smoked paprika.

BTW. you can do this without pasteurizing the egg. My research indicates that 1 in 20,000 eggs in the US has salmonella. The US produces 97-billion eggs per year. We use about 700 eggs per year in this house. This was my first time pasteurizing the egg when making mayo. So, your choice.

Another BTW. I pasteurized the egg at my wife's request. We haven't been able to find our favorite commercial eggnog for the last two years. She won't try eggnog unless it has been pasteurized. So, this was also a test for the eggs I'll use to make nog in the blender.

Mayo Ingredients
1 pasteurized egg
1 teaspoon salt
½ tsp granulated sugar
¼ tsp smoked paprika
1 teaspoon French's yellow mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup oil (I prefer light olive oil)

Directions

Place a deep bowl with water in the microwave and heat to 160°F. Remove and add the egg still in the shell. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. (A sous vide machine can be used, too. I don't own one.)

While egg is sitting in the water, measure the rest of the ingredients (minus the oil) in the blender jar. When the egg is ready, crack open the egg and add the whole egg. Pulse to blend. Allow to sit for a minute or so.

Remove the center fill cap on the blender jar. Select a medium-low setting on the blender (a couple settings higher than the lowest setting).

SLOWLY add your oil of choice until the sound changes noticeably. Check the mayonnaise. If oil remains on top of the mayo, stir the mayo and add 1 Tbs of water. Turn blender to the lowest setting until sound changes again. Everything should be emulsified.

Place in a clean container and refrigerate. The flavors will improve the next day.

I do not measure the oil. There is a change in sound when it's done, kind of a blub, blub sound. It is VERY noticeable.

Last edited:
I've never tried this yet but might just give it a go! Can't even get Duke's here without ordering online. But we sure do like it.

Ryan

The last recipe I posted above is AWESOME! I added the smoked paprika because the label on Duke's, which I can't buy in California, shows paprika. I literally want to just spoon this mayo into my mouth.

The change to French's mustard instead of Dijon, and ACV instead of distilled vinegar, made a big change in subtle flavors. The recipe above makes 12 oz.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky