Shrimp Po Boy Sliders

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
First let me apologize for my absence from the forms. The world and life overtook me.

I love Shrimp Po Boys. They are a big hearty sandwich. However, why couldn’t they be cut up into a smaller appetizer? Also, they are normally made from deep fried shrimp. Why couldn’t the shrimp be done in my pellet smoker.

As usual, my mind was short circuiting with ideas that I had to try. The results were deicious and I introduce Shrimp Po Boy Sliders.

I started by making up some Po Boy Remoulade. I mixed:

• 75 ml (1/3 cup) mayonnaise
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) ketchup
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) finely diced dill pickle
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) Dijon
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) pickle juice
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) prepared horseradish
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) Cajun seasoning
  • 2 dashes Tabasco
This mixture was covered and needs to sit in the fridge for four hours to overnight.

Shrimp Po Boy Sliders 01.jpg

I shelled and deveined 24 raw medium shrimp.

I made a flour dredge with 125 ml (1/2 cup) flour and 10 ml (2 tsp) and 10 ml Cajun Seasoning. I used my own recipe for the Cajun Seasoning but you can buy a commercial blend if you prefer.

I mixed an egg with 50 ml (1/4 cup) of milk and 3 ml (1/2 tsp) Tabasco.

I made a breading mixture with 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) Panko bread crumbs and 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) Cajun Seasoning.

Put the flour dredge on the left side of the counter, the egg wash in the middle and the bread crumbs on the right. Put a tray for your oven or smoker to the right of the bread crumbs.

Toss the shrimp in the flour dredge to coat. Dip the shrimp in the egg wash with your left hand and put it in the bread crumbs. Toss the bread crumbs over the shrimp with your right hand and put on the tray. Coat all the shrimp in this manner.

Shrimp Po Boy Sliders 02.jpg

Put the tray in a preheated 425 F (220 C) oven or smoker for 15 to 20 minutes until the coating is set and a golden.

Bring the shrimp to the counter.

Shrimp Po Boy Sliders 03.jpg

Spread a generous amount of the remoulade on 4 hot dog buns. Cut the buns into thirds. Put some lettuce on the bottom of the thirds. Put 2 shrimp on the lettuce. Put a slice of tomato on top of the shrimp and top with the top of the bun third.

Shrimp Po Boy Sliders 05.jpg

Serve.

The Verdict.

This turned out great! The shrimp had a crunchy breaded coating, the remoulade gave a nice heat and the lettuce and tomato gave a fresh taste. This little Po Boys were a hit!

Disco

Attachments

• Shrimp Po Boy Sliders 03.jpg
    Shrimp Po Boy Sliders 03.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 9
Nice looking poor boys. One of my favorites. Fried is definitely the way but I've done em grilled and love those too. Good remoulade is the key and yours sounds great. I'm gonna do these this week. Thanks

Disco, will you adopt me? Those look amazing I absolutely love shrimp po boys.
I rarely deep fry these days as well oven fried is how we roll in our house as well.

Have you ever oven fried with cracker meal? That is my go to these days seasoned cracker meal
(I really like using Old Bay seasoning) with a little rice flour and panko makes a really nice coating for shrimp, fish or veggies. I dredge in rice flour (which gives it a really nice crunch) than an egg wash and the cracker meal panko mixture, everyone loves it check it out. If you like a thick coating double dip it and it gets a really nice coating which bakes up nice at 450* to 500* in the oven.

WOW! I could eat a tray of those. Looks great. No need to apologize for your absence. Heck, life gets in the way of what we want to do for all of us! Good to see you back.

Those look great Disco! I'll take that plateful! Glad to have you back in action

Ryan

Nice work as usual Disco! Glad you are back. Love anything with Shrimp. I'll definitely be trying this.
No need to apologize, as John Lennon wrote the greatest line in music:
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Looks awesome disco! I love shrimp and those PO Boys would be right at home in my belly! LIKE!

Nice looking poor boys. One of my favorites. Fried is definitely the way but I've done em grilled and love those too. Good remoulade is the key and yours sounds great. I'm gonna do these this week. Thanks

Thanks! I hope you like them. Fried is really good but I hate deep frying for the mess and the nasty looks from She Who Must Be Obeyed!

Disco, will you adopt me? Those look amazing I absolutely love shrimp po boys.
I rarely deep fry these days as well oven fried is how we roll in our house as well.

Have you ever oven fried with cracker meal? That is my go to these days seasoned cracker meal
(I really like using Old Bay seasoning) with a little rice flour and panko makes a really nice coating for shrimp, fish or veggies. I dredge in rice flour (which gives it a really nice crunch) than an egg wash and the cracker meal panko mixture, everyone loves it check it out. If you like a thick coating double dip it and it gets a really nice coating which bakes up nice at 450* to 500* in the oven.

I use crushed crackers on fish quite often and really like it. It would do great for these po boys too!

As for adopting, being in my family would ruin your reputation.

Wow Disco....those look REALLY good!! Excellent job sir.

Robert

Thanks, Robert.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Another great idea from Disco. Looks awesome.

Warren

Thanks, Warren. I was really proud of how these turned out.

Thanks!

WOW! I could eat a tray of those. Looks great. No need to apologize for your absence. Heck, life gets in the way of what we want to do for all of us! Good to see you back.

Thanks. There is an old Chinese curse, may you live in interesting times. Life has been interesting.

Reactions: JLeonard
From a certified coonass.....that looks real good Disco! I'd eat that! Like!

A lot of great food comes from your area! Thanks!

Those look great Disco! I'll take that plateful! Glad to have you back in action

Ryan

Thank you, Ryan.

Nice work as usual Disco! Glad you are back. Love anything with Shrimp. I'll definitely be trying this.
No need to apologize, as John Lennon wrote the greatest line in music:
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I think you'll like them!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky