Shout out from Portland, OR New User!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

housemusik

Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Portland, OR
Hey what up meat smokers! 

I have been smoking for years with my old Brinkman Electric Smoker with a couple thermometers drilled into it.  I think the cool kids call it a BES.  I have done meats in that thing that have blown people's minds.  I have stuck with it because a) it was cheap and easy and b) it producted surprisingly good 'Q.  I did a 14 pound turkey and two hams at the same time, tons of briskets, ribs, and a million butts, and everything has come out great.  My latest conquest was about 25 pounds of pork belly that we cured and smoked to turn into bacon (you can see a pic of it in my profile pic).  It came out great.

I decided to make the leap to a Masterbuilt XL, which I ordered from Bass Pro Shops yesterday.  I have been reading through the forums to get more info about using this thing.  I have a few questions I will soon be addressing with everyone- specifically about keeping the smoker clean so the propane burner lasts as long as possible.  I have been following everyone's mods and am looking forward to trying a couple out to get a nice clean even smoke.

I know, I know, everyone's going to tell me about the 5 day e-course.  Done and done. 

I think the hardest part about this is going to figure out what all the acronyms are.  I saw CCB in a post.  Is that a corned beef brisket?

I am also looking for a great pastrami recipe and a great jerky recipe I can use in the new smoker.  Any tips would be great.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and I look forward to chatting with all of you. 

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome fellow Portlander, I just joined a month ago and have learned a ton, sounds like you already know what you're doing.  The acronyms are spelled out in the Wiki section. I've found there's a pretty could NW contingent here.  Can't wait to see some QView!   

Welcome to the Show its nice to have ya.. Have fun and Happy smoking
th_Slab_of_meat.gif

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Yay.... another Portlander.... always glad to find fellow meat eaters in this town!!
sausage.gif

Sounds like you have had great success with your ECB, can't wait to see what you do with your new rig. I use the 22.5" WSM and love it!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!  I will be receiving my new Masterbuilt XL today!  I am going to get off work early so I can get it seasoned.  Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get my first smoke.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!  I will be receiving my new Masterbuilt XL today!  I am going to get off work early so I can get it seasoned.  Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get my first smoke.

Hopefully you got a covered porch like I do.... makes our "liquid" sunshine a lot easier to deal with..... lol. Course this is Portland in the spring, if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes and it will change.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky