Shoulder question: Fat side up or down?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

va_connoisseur

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
DC Metro - Northern Virginia
Fellow smokers I have a question before my smoke. I am planning on putting the pork shoulder on the smoker about 6am tomorrow morning and I have one question, and I know its a novice question:

When the butt goes on, should it be fat side up or down? My thought is that fat side up would allow the "melting fat" to keep the meat moist. The shoulder is basking in rub goodness now, so I have 24 hours to get all the answers from you guys and gals. Thanks

The moisture should be fine either way. However, if you want a "good" bark then go fat cap down. Not so much of a bark, fat cap up.

Everyone has their personal preference. I've done it both ways and prefer fat cap down just because I like a thicker bark.

Good luck and have fun

The general consensous seems to be that fat side should go up or down based on what your preference is and how much rub you are using.

Fat side up will allow some of the fat to flow into the meat. However, a large portion of fat is going to melt down the side of the meat and potentially wash off some of the rub.

Fat side down could give you a slightly dryer shoulder, but the rub will stay in place better.

I always go fat up, if that helps.

The correct answer is ....... YES

Some will say: cap up for self basting from the melting cap

Some will say: cap down to insulate the meat from the direct heat below and allow a moist butt.

Both ways work, both produce good bark, both produce a great butt!

I kind of thought you would get a 50/50 on that question. I usualy go with the fat up, then half way through the smoke I turn it over.

That's what I am going to try next time.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Had not thought about injecting it? Since this is my first shoulder on this smoker, I will try to keep it simple...

Awww, who am I kidding. Heading the the BBQ Galore right now to pick up a injection sauce.

Truth is none of us is man enough to admit that more often than not, we put so much rub on the outside that we can't tell the fat side from the other! So we really have no clue as to how we cook em!

Can, meet worm. Experiment. You'll probably decide it doesn't really matter much. That's my decision anyway.

I'm with you on that one bro. Sometimes I'll add a little chile...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky