Shoulder question: Fat side up or down?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by va_connoisseur, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Fellow smokers I have a question before my smoke. I am planning on putting the pork shoulder on the smoker about 6am tomorrow morning and I have one question, and I know its a novice question:

When the butt goes on, should it be fat side up or down? My thought is that fat side up would allow the "melting fat" to keep the meat moist. The shoulder is basking in rub goodness now, so I have 24 hours to get all the answers from you guys and gals. Thanks

2. abelman

abelman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The moisture should be fine either way. However, if you want a "good" bark then go fat cap down. Not so much of a bark, fat cap up.

Everyone has their personal preference. I've done it both ways and prefer fat cap down just because I like a thicker bark.

Good luck and have fun

3. ajthepoolman

ajthepoolman Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

The general consensous seems to be that fat side should go up or down based on what your preference is and how much rub you are using.

Fat side up will allow some of the fat to flow into the meat. However, a large portion of fat is going to melt down the side of the meat and potentially wash off some of the rub.

Fat side down could give you a slightly dryer shoulder, but the rub will stay in place better.

I always go fat up, if that helps.

4. fred420

fred420 Meat Mopper

is tha a pic of a gosm???????????

5. I agree it doesnt make a big difference on texture or taste . When we do competitions we have done it both ways. Are you going to inject it before you smoke it

6. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    The correct answer is ....... YES

Some will say: cap up for self basting from the melting cap

Some will say: cap down to insulate the meat from the direct heat below and allow a moist butt.

Both ways work, both produce good bark, both produce a great butt!

7. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I go sideways and neatly avoid the pointless arguments ;{)

8. smokin for life

smokin for life Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I kind of thought you would get a 50/50 on that question. I usualy go with the fat up, then half way through the smoke I turn it over.

9. iadubber

iadubber Meat Mopper

That's what I am going to try next time. [​IMG]

10. white cloud

white cloud Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Now theres a thought. Install a rotiseree in the smoker

11. ds7662

ds7662 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I start with fat down and flip half way through smoke.
    Just my preference.[​IMG]

12. Had not thought about injecting it? Since this is my first shoulder on this smoker, I will try to keep it simple...

Awww, who am I kidding. Heading the the BBQ Galore right now to pick up a injection sauce.

13. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Eh save yer cash

Cider vinegar, powdered onion/garlic, Shot of bourbon, bit of paprika, ..anyone else?

14. ajthepoolman

ajthepoolman Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Truth is none of us is man enough to admit that more often than not, we put so much rub on the outside that we can't tell the fat side from the other! So we really have no clue as to how we cook em!

15. packplantpath

packplantpath Smoking Fanatic

Can, meet worm. Experiment. You'll probably decide it doesn't really matter much. That's my decision anyway.

16. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

Amen Brother. No truer truth was ever told...

17. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm with you on that one bro. Sometimes I'll add a little chile...

18. lagogarda

lagogarda Fire Starter

Fat side up for me and scored almost to the edge to cut down on it melting down the side...more melting into the score.:)

19. crewdawg52

crewdawg52 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yeah, straight plain apple juice or apple cider. And, I'm a flipper.

20. lagogarda

lagogarda Fire Starter

That's another reason I score the fat side..so I can tell the difference after the rub.[​IMG]