Should I Smoke it or Trash it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dillonv

Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I was just attempting to cure my first pork belly for bacon when I had to go out of town for work. It's been curing in my fridge for almost a month and it was only flipped a couple days before I had to leave. I cured it with pink salt #1, salt, sugar, and pepper. I doesn't smell bad. Should I try to smoke it or just throw it out. Thanks for any advice!

Smoke it!
It may be the best bacon you have ever had!
If it's been in there a month, there was no reason to flip it.
Was there a lot of liquid in the bag?
Take it out of the bag, rinse it off & put it on a drying rack uncovered in the fridge for 3 or 4 days.
Then 10-12 hours of cold smoke should do it.
After smoking it, then another 3 or 4 days drying it in the fridge on a drying rack uncovered.
Then freeze it for 3 or 4 hours & slice it with your slicer.
Al

You done yourself a big favor by curing it that long. Follow Smokin Al's advice and you will be pleased.

Thank you for the putting my mind at ease. I was worried that I ruined a nice belly. Yes, there was a lot of liquid. It's in the fridge on a rack drying right now. I did plan on cold smoking it with some hickory and apple. Thank you, again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky