1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Shooters Prime Thanksgiving Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Beef' started by shooterrick, Nov 25, 2010.

1. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

This Thanksgiving Sandy and I stayed home and prepared a bit non traditional supper. The menu was: Prime Rib, Shooters roasted taters and mushrooms, asparagus, Sandys homemade apple pie and french bread. Pan drippings were fortified with concentrated beef broth for the au jus and the Prime was seasoned with sea salt, CBP, juniper, and garlic. I foiled in pan at 120 and pulled at 140F and was perfect medium rare. Not shown was horseradish sauce for me. LOL

Standing Rib Roast rubbed down with seasoning after olive oil slather night before

[​IMG]

About half way through smoking with Pecan at 225-250F

[​IMG]

Sandy making pie crust

[​IMG]

French bread ready for oven

[​IMG]

Au Jus reduction 

[​IMG]

Roasted Taters and Mushrooms

[​IMG]

Apple Pie Yum

[​IMG]

French bread!

[​IMG]

The table money shot!

[​IMG]

Shooter enjoying the pie!

[​IMG]

2. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

What a spread Shooter![​IMG]   That PR looks great, you deserve some pie after all your hard work [​IMG]

3. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

MMmmmmm Prime Rib that looks good, it all looks good

4. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

That all looks great!  Prime rib....mmmmmm I think I could have some of that after all I've eaten this evening! lol 

5. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice looking spread Shooter.  Looks like you'll be eating on that Prime Rib tomorrow also

6. geerock

geerock Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Damn, just lost another keyboard.  After looking at these pics I guess I drooled too much on it  

Hope everyone had a great day.....sure looks like Shooter did.

All the best.

7. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks great Rick

8. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

It may not have been the traditional meal but with as good as it all looks, I would have to say the heck with tradition.

Very nice spread.

9. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Fantastic!

TJ

10. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Rick you did another fine job. I know that prime rib is not the typical thanksgiving day treats but you not quite right anyway. I do think that it is mighty good thou. Then I can tell by your growing waistline that you haven't lost your touch.

11. bbally

bbally Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Rick, looks excellent, wondering what temp you pulled that rib at?  And how long did you smoke it?  What wood or woods did you use on it?

12. uncle_lar

uncle_lar Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Beautiful spread there shooter Great job. it all looks delicious

13. thebarbequeen

thebarbequeen Smoking Fanatic

That all looks Incredibly delicious!  How did you do your potatoes?  Looks like you've got a couple great cooks in your kitchen!

14. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I could sure go for some prime rib right about now.

15. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Awesome looking spread there Shooter!

I started drooling the other day, when you told me you were smoking one of these "Bad Boys".

I knew it would be perfect!

Taters look super too!---and the PIE!

Nice Qview too,

Bear

16. fishwrestler

fishwrestler Smoking Fanatic Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Rick and Sandy it all looks great!

17. Great looking spread Rick, prime rib is one of my favorite cuts, but it's hard to get good PR in a resturaunt so one must do it at home for it to be right & yours looked right. The spuds looked absolutely mouth watering, any chance for a recipe?

18. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I pulled the roast at 140F.  Was a near perfect medium rare.  The wood was Pecan.  Took just under 5hrs at 225-250F.  At 120 I put in foil pan and dumped a can of concentrated beef broth in to make the Au Jus with afterwards.  I sealed the pan with foil until finished.

Potatoes.  Russets,  sliced about 1/4 inch.  Mushrooms, sliced.  No real recipe for season but I use Lawreys Season salt, garlic , red pepper, and the traditional other italian herbs-thyme, oregano, and one stick butter melted.  At the last 10 minutes in 350 F oven I give it a sound shake of Parmesan cheese and let brown.   Stir carefully about 1/2 way through to insure all is coated.  Will take about 45 min or so to roast.

Another pic or so for good measure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smiles all and hope you had a great one.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  19. one question about carving. do you remove the bones before slicing or slice between the ribs?

20. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    looks great rick!!