Shelf life of home cured bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Most likely. Is it they Can't or the Won't. There is a whole different set of hoops to jump, plus the higher insurance, etc...JJ

Watching that Benton's video again....after 20 days (10 days in salt and sugar cure, and 10 days equalizing @41~55*), the gentleman said they allow the bellies to sit at room temperature for another 10 days (I am assuming that's 68~72*) prior to hitting the smoke for 3 days continuous.

I surmise that the salt and sugar cure coupled with the drying has pulled enough moisture out after 20 days that the meat will not spoil at room temperature after 20 days... I'm guessing the elevated temperature helps with the sugar equalization through the slab???

<trying to understand the process>

That is the Artisan part of Salt curing. Based on THEIR refrigeration, circulation and humidity controlled curing room. The bacon must get a sufficiently dry exterior that it wont support bacterial growth at their room temp, likely low 70's. Looking at the video, the thickest slabs looked about two inches and that is half fat that contains very little moisture. The lean is sterile on the inside, dry and still somewhat salty on the outside and with THEIR decades old technique, it's safe to continue curing and drying at room temp.
Of course just watching a video DOES NOT mean any of us can Safely duplicate the steps and SMF does not recommend Salt Only Curing unless you are properly trained on how it's done...JJ

Reactions: smokin peachey
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky