Shaved ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Shaved Ham is just super thin sliced ham.. it's just as delicious as thicker ham

Reactions: jcam222
im partial to pulled ham (cured butt) myself

kimg0605-jpg.jpg

Reactions: kilo charlie
The delis we shopped in NJ, when you asked for very thin or Shaved, the ham was so thin you could read the paper through it. Moving to PA you could get Chipped or sliced. The Chipped is so thin that you dont get slices, it is really thin pieces of Chips off the ham. Sliced is too thick for my taste.
So Shaved or Chipped,..The Ham on your sandwich is MUCH more Tender than thicker sliced Ham. The Ham Shaved or Chipped Ham seems more Juicy as well.
Go for the Shaved and pile the slices randomly stacking the meat 1/2" thick Minimum...JJ

Is he saying try to smoke shaved ham? Or is he saying try shaving ham after you smoke it? Or is he just saying go to the deli and order some shaved ham?
If he's saying try making some smoked shaved ham I think I'd have to smoke a ham then get it very cold and slice it very thin with a slicer

Pretty sure Jimbo is looking for a member review of Shaved Deli Ham.

On a personal side note, growing up in the 60's & 70's, it wasn't a Holiday Family Gathering without, as part of the copious amount of Polish and Italian foods, a KRAKUS Canned Ham, imported from Poland, one of their largest exports. These hams were just so tasty, hot or cold. Unlike many, Krackus Hams are Low Fat, Lower in Sodium and Low Moisture. You eat HAM not a lot of pumped in water. I had not had a Krakus Ham in many years...Until, last week I stumbled across Krakus Ham, once again. It is being sold in Walmart's Deli section in my area. Its more Spendy than other Hams, but the flavor is still the way I remember it and I am enjoying every bite. It is great Shaved of even thicker cut...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
When we smoke a ham, we eat a couple of slices, then I separate all the muscles & put them in the freezer. In the morning I put them on the slicer frozen at the thinnest setting & have a pile of shaved ham. It is unbelievably tender & you can pile it an inch high on your sandwich & it just melts in your mouth. You just have to be careful to slice it against the grain, just like most muscles. All the leftovers get put in cheesecloth & into a crock pot for white bean soup.
Al

Sorry for any confusion I meant from a deli not smoked. Was told it tastes a lot better then regularly sliced ham. And in all my years I never heard of it before. I told him he was full of it thought he was pulling my leg. Then I searched it and it is real. And thanks for the replies. Shop Rite here I come, he said they hate slicing it cause it takes so long to do a 1/2 lb.

HALF POUND!?!? Thats 2 sandwiches. You need to really get the Clerks Eyes Rolling and order 2 Pounds...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky