Sharp pickles and Jalapenos. With a kick!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
So I was out of sharp pickles and almost out of sharp Jalapenos. For this batch I'm kicking things up a bit.
First, I changed from using Alum. And went to pickle crisp after it was suggested from my friend daveomak daveomak

PB210069.jpg

And the results:

PB210071.jpg

Now, this is where it gets interesting.
12 cups cider vinegar
3 Tbs dill seed
3 Tbs pickling spice
3 Tbs pickling salt.
3 Tbs dried minced onions.
All this gets put in a non-reactive pot. And brought to a boil.
In each jar I put 1/4 tsp of the pickle crisp.
And in two jars. I put a tsp of tx smoker tx smoker 's spice blend
And in the other two. I put a tsp of the smoked SC reaper powder from tropics tropics
Should be "warm"

Wow Steve...that looks real good!! I'm still pretty well set on jalapenos but am getting close to needing some more pickles. I'd already decided I needed to amp them up a bit and now the cogs are turning....

How long till you think they will be ready? I'd really like your feedback on the ones you used my spice mix in. Not having ready access to the reapers, I'll just go with what I have on hand.

Robert

they look good steve, but i'm not sure about the reapers, sounds like they could do some damage!

Good choice... Never know if the stories about aluminum are correct....

I did allot of research about alum before using it. And the data I saw was so hit and miss. I really didn't think much of it. But, hell, if there is a better, or same way of getting the same results. And perhaps a safer way. Then why not? The pickle crisp costs more. But that's fine. Thanks again for showing this to me.

Wow Steve...that looks real good!! I'm still pretty well set on jalapenos but am getting close to needing some more pickles. I'd already decided I needed to amp them up a bit and now the cogs are turning....

How long till you think they will be ready? I'd really like your feedback on the ones you used my spice mix in. Not having ready access to the reapers, I'll just go with what I have on hand.

Robert

These are vacuum sealed. So they'll be ready in a few days...week at the most. I'll let you know.

Those look great Steve. I have been using alum too as I have never seen pickle crisp. Will have to try it on the next batch. Thanks!

they look good steve, but i'm not sure about the reapers, sounds like they could do some damage!

I had a touch, and I mean a touch of that on a pizza when I first got it. It had my eyes watering. But it had a very nice flavor and not just heat. Which I think will work well with this.

Steve you can use Grape leaves when Pickling to keep them crisp.
Richie

I've heard that. And with all the wineries around here. You would think they would be easy to get. But, that is not the case. I would really like to make Dolmades. Those stuffed grape leaves with rice, mint, and spices. Love those things.

I've heard that. And with all the wineries around here. You would think they would be easy to get. But, that is not the case. I would really like to make Dolmades. Those stuffed grape leaves with rice, mint, and spices. Love those things.
My neighbor has vines but I have enough pickles put up to last a while,I should have grabbed a bunch and froze them.Wasn't thinking but next year I will grab some.
Richie

Reactions: Steve H
Looks good Steve! I bet that’s gonna be good.

I’m in the mood to pickle something. I’ll have to use Robert’s seasoning. I’m thinking about pickling some turnips with it.

Reactions: Steve H
So I was out of sharp pickles and almost out of sharp Jalapenos. For this batch I'm kicking things up a bit.
First, I changed from using Alum. And went to pickle crisp after it was suggested from my friend daveomak daveomak

View attachment 412255

And the results:

View attachment 412256

Now, this is where it gets interesting.
12 cups cider vinegar
3 Tbs dill seed
3 Tbs pickling spice
3 Tbs pickling salt.
3 Tbs dried minced onions.
All this gets put in a non-reactive pot. And brought to a boil.
In each jar I put 1/4 tsp of the pickle crisp.
And in two jars. I put a tsp of tx smoker tx smoker 's spice blend
And in the other two. I put a tsp of the smoked SC reaper powder from tropics tropics
Should be "warm"
The harder the kick the the better I say!

Looks good Steve! I bet that’s gonna be good.

I’m in the mood to pickle something. I’ll have to use Robert’s seasoning. I’m thinking about pickling some turnips with it.

And that is something I keep forgetting to do. I do like turnips.

Ok, time enough. The anticipation is killing me!

PB250081.JPG

On the left are the ones with Robert's spices @tx. On the right. With Richie's tropics tropics
I tried Roberts first. It is very good. There is a good hint of heat and flavor. I like it!
Next....oh boy! Comes the ones with the Carolina reaper blend. I'm a tad nervous!

Well......I'm surprised. Really surprised. These are warm. Oh hell, they are hot! The heat I would say is a tad more then a shot of Tabasco sauce. So, to liven things up. A mixed some together for a blend.

PB250082.JPG

I can't wait to try this in a salad or pizza. yum!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky