• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sharp pickles and Jalapenos. With a kick!

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
So I was out of sharp pickles and almost out of sharp Jalapenos. For this batch I'm kicking things up a bit.
First, I changed from using Alum. And went to pickle crisp after it was suggested from my friend daveomak daveomak

PB210069.jpg

And the results:

PB210071.jpg

Now, this is where it gets interesting.
12 cups cider vinegar
3 Tbs dill seed
3 Tbs pickling spice
3 Tbs pickling salt.
3 Tbs dried minced onions.
All this gets put in a non-reactive pot. And brought to a boil.
In each jar I put 1/4 tsp of the pickle crisp.
And in two jars. I put a tsp of tx smoker tx smoker 's spice blend
And in the other two. I put a tsp of the smoked SC reaper powder from tropics tropics
Should be "warm"

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Good choice... Never know if the stories about aluminum are correct....

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Wow Steve...that looks real good!! I'm still pretty well set on jalapenos but am getting close to needing some more pickles. I'd already decided I needed to amp them up a bit and now the cogs are turning....

How long till you think they will be ready? I'd really like your feedback on the ones you used my spice mix in. Not having ready access to the reapers, I'll just go with what I have on hand.

Robert

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
they look good steve, but i'm not sure about the reapers, sounds like they could do some damage!

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Good choice... Never know if the stories about aluminum are correct....
I did allot of research about alum before using it. And the data I saw was so hit and miss. I really didn't think much of it. But, hell, if there is a better, or same way of getting the same results. And perhaps a safer way. Then why not? The pickle crisp costs more. But that's fine. Thanks again for showing this to me.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Wow Steve...that looks real good!! I'm still pretty well set on jalapenos but am getting close to needing some more pickles. I'd already decided I needed to amp them up a bit and now the cogs are turning....

How long till you think they will be ready? I'd really like your feedback on the ones you used my spice mix in. Not having ready access to the reapers, I'll just go with what I have on hand.

Robert
These are vacuum sealed. So they'll be ready in a few days...week at the most. I'll let you know.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Steve you can use Grape leaves when Pickling to keep them crisp.
Richie

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Those look great Steve. I have been using alum too as I have never seen pickle crisp. Will have to try it on the next batch. Thanks!

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
they look good steve, but i'm not sure about the reapers, sounds like they could do some damage!
I had a touch, and I mean a touch of that on a pizza when I first got it. It had my eyes watering. But it had a very nice flavor and not just heat. Which I think will work well with this.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Steve you can use Grape leaves when Pickling to keep them crisp.
Richie
I've heard that. And with all the wineries around here. You would think they would be easy to get. But, that is not the case. I would really like to make Dolmades. Those stuffed grape leaves with rice, mint, and spices. Love those things.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
I've heard that. And with all the wineries around here. You would think they would be easy to get. But, that is not the case. I would really like to make Dolmades. Those stuffed grape leaves with rice, mint, and spices. Love those things.
My neighbor has vines but I have enough pickles put up to last a while,I should have grabbed a bunch and froze them.Wasn't thinking but next year I will grab some.
Richie

xray

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Looks good Steve! I bet that’s gonna be good.

I’m in the mood to pickle something. I’ll have to use Robert’s seasoning. I’m thinking about pickling some turnips with it.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2019
So I was out of sharp pickles and almost out of sharp Jalapenos. For this batch I'm kicking things up a bit.
First, I changed from using Alum. And went to pickle crisp after it was suggested from my friend daveomak daveomak

View attachment 412255

And the results:

View attachment 412256

Now, this is where it gets interesting.
12 cups cider vinegar
3 Tbs dill seed
3 Tbs pickling spice
3 Tbs pickling salt.
3 Tbs dried minced onions.
All this gets put in a non-reactive pot. And brought to a boil.
In each jar I put 1/4 tsp of the pickle crisp.
And in two jars. I put a tsp of tx smoker tx smoker 's spice blend
And in the other two. I put a tsp of the smoked SC reaper powder from tropics tropics
Should be "warm"
The harder the kick the the better I say!

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Looks good Steve! I bet that’s gonna be good.

I’m in the mood to pickle something. I’ll have to use Robert’s seasoning. I’m thinking about pickling some turnips with it.
And that is something I keep forgetting to do. I do like turnips.

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Sure hope that isn't your go-to insomnia medicine :emoji_wink:
I would give it a try though.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Ok, time enough. The anticipation is killing me!

PB250081.JPG

On the left are the ones with Robert's spices @tx. On the right. With Richie's tropics tropics
I tried Roberts first. It is very good. There is a good hint of heat and flavor. I like it!
Next....oh boy! Comes the ones with the Carolina reaper blend. I'm a tad nervous!

Well......I'm surprised. Really surprised. These are warm. Oh hell, they are hot! The heat I would say is a tad more then a shot of Tabasco sauce. So, to liven things up. A mixed some together for a blend.

PB250082.JPG

I can't wait to try this in a salad or pizza. yum!

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks