Shark lox?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SKade

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 21, 2019
West Virginia
Has anyone cured shark before? I’m not looking for a fermented product. I’m just wondering if you can do it like lox or bacon. Crazy ideas for the beach trip.

I've seen a few recipes that used a dry cure on shark steaks, I use this type of cure for all species of trout/salmon as well as tuna. So I know it can be done, just have not tried it. I've eaten fried shark when I was a boy living on the coast of Texas, but they were small enough to be caught off a pier.

Jump ahead in this video to 3:40 and you can see the process this gentleman uses and the product.... it looks good. My cure is also salt and sugar, but has has a few more aromatics.

Reactions: SKade and kruizer
I've seen a few recipes that used a dry cure on shark steaks, I use this type of cure for all species of trout/salmon as well as tuna. So I know it can be done, just have not tried it. I've eaten fried shark when I was a boy living on the coast of Texas, but they were small enough to be caught off a pier.

Jump ahead in this video to 3:40 and you can see the process this gentleman uses and the product.... it looks good. My cure is also salt and sugar, but has has a few more aromatics.

Thanks. It looks tasty. This trip we are doing a shark of the day dish and I’m looking for ideas. I think I’ll bring along my smoke tube and give it a shot. Sadly the house we’re staying at only has a gas grill. Did I hear him right that the cure is more sugar than salt? The cured and smoked shark looks like a great base to rift on.

Interesting, cause I cure, smoke & eat a lot of salmon lox. I also give a bunch of it away to my neighbors. I really haven’t seen a place to buy shark, & since I moved away from the coast I can’t catch my own. But I would love to hear a comparison between shark & salmon lox. I guess I’m a bit biased, but I just don’t think you can beat good salmon lox. But I’m willing to see what you got!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky