Sesame ginger teriyaki wings and football!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 16, 2016
Creswell OR
Sesame ginger teriyaki wings

College football season is here and so are the wings! Sesame ginger teriyaki was the requested flavor for watching the Oregon Ducks kick some butt!

I will admit I don’t measure when making this sauce. You can add more or less of the ingredients to suit your taste and texture, and sweetness. A little word of advice… you may want to double this recipe for the sauce. It goes really good as a glaze or dipping sauce with soooo many other things and is handy to have around.

Sesame ginger teriyaki Sauce:
½ Cup Brown sugar
½ Cup Mirin
1 Cup Ponzu (or low salt Soy sauce with citrus added)
1-2 TBS Minced or Ground fresh ginger
1-2 TBS. fresh garlic
4-5 TBS Honey or Agave nectar
1-2 TBS Sesame oil
1 TBS Cornstarch (dissolved in 1T of water)
¼ C toasted sesame seeds (divided)

Ingredients.jpg

*Not shown is the garlic and honey/agave (and the ginger is hiding in the background)

Step 1: Toast your sesame seeds. In a large skillet add enough sesame seeds to cover the bottom on medium high heat (about ¼ cup). Stir or toss occasionally to brown evenly. Remove from heat into a separate container or bowl to cool.

Step 2: Make your sauce. Add all ingredients except the sesame seeds into to a sauce pan on medium high heat, stirring often until it starts to boil. Stir in cornstarch and cook until thickened (use more if you want a thicker sauce). Then add 1-2 Tablespoons of the toasted sesame seeds. Remove from heat into a separate container or bowl to cool. Keep refrigerated.

Sauce.jpg

Step 3: Prepare your wings. Thaw wings or wing segments. I have about 5 lbs here for about 2 cookie sheets worth. Keep the wings as dry as possible as they thaw by placing them on a wire rack. Do this ahead of time in your refrigerator for safe thawing practices as well as aiding in drying the skin. If you have a convection oven use the “Drying” mode set at 140’ for 1 hour from frozen. Season the wings with a little salt. Toss wings in corn starch or 50/50 corn starch and flour. This time I used cornstarch with 50% my favorite frying flour. Set wings back on cooling rack to let the cornstarch set and dry the skin further while you set up your fryer.

Half.jpg

*If you like a little thicker coating on your wings, you can dip the wings in 1 egg beaten with 1 T. Vodka first before tossing in the cornstarch. (Yes! You read that right! Using vodka instead of milk (which is mostly water) with the egg will evaporate better without any vodka flavor! This will keep your wings CRISPY!)

dry.jpg

Step 4: Fry wings. Fry in small batches to prevent crowding and temp swings. Keep oil between 325-350’. Use a thermometer. Fry wings until internal temp is minimum 175’ for best results. Drain. I use a wok at home, but use what you’ve got. I suppose you could use an air fryer but I can’t speak to that as I don’t have one. But I have “air fried” them on the Kettle with the vortex that worked pretty good. Use high heat indirect.

Fry.jpg

Step 5: Place a serving size of wings in a large bowl. Add enough sauce to coat the wings and “toss” the bowl to mix and incorporate. Dump wings onto a serving dish and sprinkle with extra sesame seeds. Serve with carrots & celery with ranch or blue cheese if desired.

toss.jpg

Plate.jpg

Thanks for looking. Go Ducks!

Thanks Kruizer. I can eat those all day! They are much crispier than they look. Thanks for the points.

Damn those look great! I love the crunch that cornstarch achieves, I'll have to try the vodka trick.

Oh and as a U of O alumna: GO DUCKS!!!

Hell Yeah, Crunchy Wings FTW!
I bet that I'd demolish half of those, they look great and the sauce sounds delish.

I'm a big-time fan of fried over smoked wings, not that I'd ever turn down some good wings, but fried is King

Like!

Erik I am saving this I won't buy wings but will try it with some thighs. Points
Richie

Damn those look great! I love the crunch that cornstarch achieves, I'll have to try the vodka trick.

Oh and as a U of O alumna: GO DUCKS!!!

The vodka trick definitely helps of getting that crispy skin. Give at a try. Of course you have to take a snort while you are at it! I root for the Ducks all year except for one game- Civil War! Yup I'm actually a Beaver fan! Thanks of the like.

Delicious!!

Thank you. We've been addicted to wings lately and this sauce is worth the effort. Thanks for the like.

Great looking wings! Loved smoked wings but man fried ones with that crunch are just hard to beat.

Agreed! High heat indirect on the grill/smoker will get you close to as crispy as frying with this method. Thanks for the like.

Hell Yeah, Crunchy Wings FTW!
I bet that I'd demolish half of those, they look great and the sauce sounds delish.

I'm a big-time fan of fried over smoked wings, not that I'd ever turn down some good wings, but fried is King

Like!

Thanks Chile. I know what you mean. I know there is no shortage of smoke around your place! But sometimes a little break from the smoke is warranted and wings are a good candidate. I do chicken all the time on the kettle- including these wings. Both are good! No wrong choice there. Thanks for the like.

Erik I am saving this I won't buy wings but will try it with some thighs. Points
Richie

For sure Richie. This works with thighs too, or any other cut of chicken for that matter. In fact I normally like thighs and cost less than what they charge for wings nowdays. But that's what the Mrs. wanted. I wasn't going to argue.

In fact... This was my "secret recipe" that got me Judges Choice award in the Throwdown some time back. Those were thighs. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/teriyaki-chicken-meat-n-three-entry-4-11-17.261141/
Thanks for the point!

As I'm sure most are aware... You can use this as a sauce on the grill near the end and can get a very lovely carmelization. Just be very careful as it will char rather quickly due to the sugar content. Gotta watch it close!

Last edited:
I'm going to have to give these a go the next time I whip up a batch of wings. They look excellent BEV. We've been avoiding deep frying for a while now so it'll be done with the kettle/vortex combo. Thanks for the play-by-play.

Point for sure
Chris

Absolutely delicious! I love smoked and grilled wings but... I absolutely love deep fried, crispy wings like that. Like!

Yes. Very addicting! A wing with the right crispiness is something magical!

I love to smoke them for about an hour and a half, then fry them....smoked and fried wings-the best of both worlds!!

Good call! I've been wanting to try that method and never done it. yet. Thanks for the reminder! Thanks for the like.

I'm going to have to give these a go the next time I whip up a batch of wings. They look excellent BEV. We've been avoiding deep frying for a while now so it'll be done with the kettle/vortex combo. Thanks for the play-by-play.

Point for sure
Chris

I know you would approve! The kettle/vortex will definitely hit the mark even though they are not fried. That vortex does REAL WELL with these!
Thanks for the point Chris.
Nice wings
dannylang

Thanks dl.

I am planning to do injected chicken legs next weekend when I am off. I think I will give this a try. Injected without the seeds and then add the seeds to the final glaze.

Go Ducks!

That sounds like a fantastic idea! Please post how that turns out. Nice avatar!

More Duck football and wings on Saturday...
I prefer whole wings over the party wings (segments). These were awesome!
I did half teriyaki and half Kraft original BBQ
"Air fried" in the kettle with the vortex with Lazzari Lump
The verdict- The Kraft original BBQ wings were just lip smacking finger licking better grilled like this for this cook. But I like the oil fried teriyaki ones better. Kind of hard to compare apples and oranges though. Both are superb.

whole 1.jpg
Whole 2.jpg

MMMMmmm......
I'm not much on wings, because I like more meat for less $$$, Like Drums & Thighs.
However I'd be all over those Bad Boys!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky