Semi dried sausage .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Not sure if the title is correct , but I started doing this as a test to further dry summer sausage / cooked smoked sausage .
I got the idea from a meat cutter at a local shop I buy from .
I use pink butcher paper to wrap the sausage , then hold it in a 36 degree fridge .
This is fully cooked to 152 degrees internal temp before drying .
I have to say I didn't take notes , or weigh any thing . Hope the pics tell the story .
These are from a thread I did awhile back .
Made Krakow , Red Barn bologna , and a chub I mixed with AC leggs hot Italian .
All cured and smoked to 152 . Took half chub of each to do this test .
The red barn was so good after drying , it was gone before I got any dried pics .
Krakow ,
You can see the color change . Pic on the left is before , pic on the right is 2 weeks
wrapped and held in the fridge . The non dried was some of the best Krakow I've ever had .
I like it as sandwich meat , but the dried version was really good .
20191213_080301.jpg 20200104_111935.jpg

The AC Leggs hot Italian 103 was the best result .
It took on so much flavor , the drier it got the better it was . I think this was in for over a month .
It took on a pepperoni taste and texture . Really good .
Original pic before drying ,
20191213_081116.jpg
Like I said , no notes but this was after a month I think .
Same sausage same chub . Huge difference .
20200127_085756.jpg
Another couple weeks , Same chub .
20200218_094644.jpg
See thru slice ,
20200218_094657.jpg
The concentrated flavor was great . The texture was as good as any dried salami product I've had .
I made 3 lbs of pepperoni last week . Cooked to 152 , currently wrapped in pink butcher paper in the fridge .
I pulled one out today to check it . I'm happy . Another week , maybe 2 ,,, should be perfect .
zwiller zwiller Sam I don't see a reason why this would not work on the loin you just did .
Maybe try a section if you have some pink butcher paper .

Geez Rich, that is some great looking charcuterie, big Like! I've got a huge roll of pink butcher paper and will be giving this a shot soon, right now the fridge is over packed with now room for anything. RAY

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Rich that looks great I like the first Krakow,I remember your post it is one my list. Points
The Italian Sausage looks completely different.
Richie

I still don't know how you do it, it's like you are reading my mind... :emoji_laughing:

Besides german ham, another long term goal was a spicy salami. I tried some years ago at a high end Chicago deli (John Cusak was in front of me at the counter) and swore one day I would learn to make it as it was VERY expensive. Funny, that "salami" was not acidic at all and no tang so it so it appears doable with your method (you better come up with a name because I think this will be big). Parents have a roll of non waxed white that I am gonna steal and AC #103 in my Amazon cart...

That looks great. I've not had dried Krakowska...JJ

Looks great. What type casings did you use, and did you leave on or remove before wrapping in the paper?
I thought I had put that above .
I used a fibrous clear casing to stuff and smoke , then removed when I wrapped in butcher paper .
I did the first part the same as I do summer sausage .
Then when time to vac up for storage I wrapped a couple to try this out .

Looks great. I have only done 1 week hanging in the fridge. I should try this.

. I have only done 1 week hanging in the fridge. I should try this.
I was hanging in the basement in the cooler months . 55 degrees for 7 days . Worked great one time , next time it case hardened in a couple days . So I started with a paper bag in the fridge , worked good . Got the tip on the pink paper . Need to do another test .

Reactions: pc farmer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky