See how bad I wreck THIS brisket...

Discussion in 'Beef' started by inkjunkie, Jan 4, 2016.

1. inkjunkie

inkjunkie Master of the Pit

Hoping that tomorrow is the day I smoke...
    It is a 19 pound select from Cash and Carry. Was hoping to find a lighter one. Dug thru 2 case, one of them was a case of Choice. Thin fat caps, not very flexible. All of the Choice ones were on the light side. All the Choice ones had very thin flats. Unsure if I will be using the Egg or the RF yet.
    Last attempt was overcooked. Just don't have the probe tender touch just yet.
    Hopefully I don't go OCD when I trim this one.

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

I don't trim until after it's cooked. A little less bark but greater protection. On a long smoke much will render away. Score it if you wish to get more rub to the meat. Good Luck...JJ

3. mfreel

mfreel Smoking Fanatic

I'd leave the fat, too, unless it's overly excessive.  You're looking at a longgggggggg smoke on this one.  My only advice is to keep the temp consistent, don't peek, and go to 200-205 IT.  You might find your IT will range from one end of the brisket to the other.  

4. inkjunkie

Not to put you on the spot but....

Assume that not much trimming is needed. Let's say you wanted to have this thing for dinner on Wednesday at 5. Assume 225*. When would you start it?

5. mfreel

mfreel Smoking Fanatic

IMHO, 19 lbs, I'd start it around 5 the previous day, assuming you stay consistent at 225. Shorten this time if you go around 235. If you get done a little early, wrap it in foil, a few beach towel and put it in the cooler.  It will stay hot for several hours.  My disclaimer...I've never tackled a 19 pounder.

inkjunkie likes this.
  6. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I agree, and I also don't trim any fat.  I may score, but I leave almost all fat.  I only remove the very loose or the sticky fat.  Hard fat stays.

Once it's smoked to completion, most of the fat will scrape right off if you scrape with the grain of the meat.

inkjunkie likes this.
  7. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Good luck with the monster!:110:

8. inkjunkie

Thank you. I mixed up some rub today. By weight..40% ground smoked black pepper, 40% kosher salt, 10% garlic powder and 10% onion powder. Going to clean out the XL BGE tomorrow, fill it to the plate setter. Hook up the Auber controller and start it around 4 p.m.
    May take some of the rock hard fat off...have to see what it looks like when I cut the cryovac open tomorrow morning.

9. inkjunkie

So THAT'S what it is supposed to taste like....

smokin phil, jetsknicks1 and mike5051 like this.
  10. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Whoop! Should I mail some cigars?

Looks pretty darn good from here!

Screw the baskets!

11. Congrats, !!!  Looks great from my seat  Nice Job  [​IMG]

Gary

12. inkjunkie

Have to be honest....I didn't make the baskets. Ernies friend did...wish I had that kind of talent

13. mfreel

mfreel Smoking Fanatic

That really looks great!  A 19 lb brisket is a beast!!!

14. bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075 Fire Starter

WOW! Beautiful! Great job on that beast...... Did you end up doing it on the Egg? Did you wrap it?

15. humdinger

humdinger Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

So how long did it end up taking? What temp did you yank it at? What kind of wood did you use?

16. inkjunkie

Yes, I used one of our Eggs. Didn't wrap it until I pulled it off

17. inkjunkie

Started 4:30 on Tuesday, finished at 2 p.m. on Wednesday. Would have to check my notes...think the thin end of the flat was 208 thick end 199. Used Mesquite chunk charcoal, no additional wood was added. Thanks for asking me, you reminded me I need to ask you folks something.

18. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

That looks amazing Ink!  [​IMG]

19. inkjunkie

Thanks...

one eyed jack likes this.
  20. one eyed jack

one eyed jack Master of the Pit

Sure looks like a successful brisket smoke to me. 

Point!