Second time smoking ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerican

Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Chicago, Il.
Baby Back ribs and some beef short ribs on a Brinkmann Smoke n' Grill. No major mods just yet, but I see where the shortcomings are.

Some ABT's too!

More soon to follow!

Nice looking smoke going on there! I see you have realized the need for baffle plates already, with foil pans...it'll work 'til you get exactly what you need/want.

The Smoke N Grill is the "new" name for the Smoke N Pit...looks all the same. A tuning plate with holes drilled through it was my second baffle mod...you need lots of oven rack therms to make this worth your while. The first mod I did was tipping the coal ash pan upside-down, drilling holes for supports and hanging with the factory coal grate supports. I had to slope the pan low on the vent stack end to get grate temps close at all.

BTW, what do think of the makeshift chamber thermometer...funny hah? I added two 2-1/2" stem chamber therms (one @ 6" from each end of the lid)...much better temp monitoring.

Good luck on the upcoming mods. PM or post up again if you need assistance with anything...myself and others would be happy to help.

Eric

Yes this thing is begging for a few mods. First off I made a new charcoal grate because the one that it comes with is garbage.

Then I extended the exhaust down to grate level.

Next I will be working on maybe installing the fire rope around the lid (there's probably 1/4" gap all the way around). For now I've been doing the tango with the darn thing everytime the wind shifts direction!

Next I will take your idea and work with the charcoal pan and make a tuning plate out of it and see how that goes.

As far as that thermometer on the hood, what a joke! My grate therm to the hood therms are off about 75º-100º

smokerican - the manifold/baffle will help more than you can imagine when it comes to evening out temperatures and tuning the pit. until you get that fabricated, here are two or possibly three things you can do as "quick and dirty" solutions.

a) take the "west" end of the pan at the bottom of the smoking chamber and set it so that it covers the opening to the fire box. i prefer to leave the other end down, but you can also raise that level if you are using drip pans.

b) get two or three old, HEAVY blankets and fold them up so that they are the same length as the smoking chamber and lay them on top. this helps in a huge way and has cut my charcoal consumption in half while also keeping temps even and stable.

c) consider getting FIRE BRICKS from your local "stove and spa" place. these can sit in the bottom of the fire box and/or the smoking chamber and will provide a similar effect to the manifold/baffle.

i am currently saving up to get my own manifold and the blanket idea as well as the drip pan idea have made a huge difference.

Hey Smoke, that was some awesome food on your grill! WOW~ what was that loaf on the right hand side...a meatloaf or some superduper bread?

Looks great along with everything else...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Third Times The Charm.....at least that is what I told my wife when I fired the smoker up the third time... as expected, she rolled her eyes but did consent to elt me cook again.

That's a good sign right?
biggrin.gif

Welcome aboard and keep the qviews coming.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky