Second attempt at brisket -Dry again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

laziebun

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Central Illinois
Team- I need your assistance here. For some reason I cannot smoke a brisket. Again it (5# brisket flat) came out dry. Not sure what I am doing wrong but here was my process.

Here is my fireboard data log:
https://share.fireboard.io/5DDE36

Grass feed / 5lb Brisket Flat

0300 Traeger set to 225. Set brisket in smoker.

7:48am sprayed with AJ (apple juice)

9:00am sprayed with AJ

1000 sprayed with AJ and turned the traeger temp to 250 degree.

1055 Foiled at 175 degrees

1147 Done IT 202

Thoughts / suggestions?

Brisket flats are tough to cook, especially a lean one.
I would try smoking one in a pan with some french onion soup.
Sit the brisket right in the juice.
I've done them this way with good results.
Al

Reactions: laziebun
Anytime I’ve done a flat I put a pan full of water under it, maybe it’s just a wives tale but my flats usually come out good doing that. How long are you letting it rest? Might try pouring some water or soda in the foil when you wrap it.

Reactions: laziebun
Are you shooting for 202F IT before pulling, or are you checking for tenderness along the way?

Anytime I’ve done a flat I put a pan full of water under it, maybe it’s just a wives tale but my flats usually come out good doing that. How long are you letting it rest? Might try pouring some water or soda in the foil when you wrap it.
I did have a pan of water in there. ..actually I put three 4 hours into the smoke. Kinda forgot. But I will try putting a pan directly under the brisket next time.

Last edited:
Are you shooting for 202F IT before pulling, or are you checking for tenderness along the way?
I did not check for tenderness. I just smoke it to an IT. I was aiming for 200, but the additional 2 came pretty quick. Are you referring to toothpick test?

Yes I believe bregent is talking about probe tender. Once you reach 190 - 200* start probing with a toothpick or skewer. It should go in with little resistance. Over cooked comes out crumbly, under cooked is usually tough. At least in my experience.

Chris

Foil it a bit earlier, like at 155-160°. It seems to me that pellet grills dry meat quicker than stick burners because of the fan forced air. That, plus small flats are so well trimmed they have little to no fat to moisten the meat during the cook so you are behind the 8 ball from the beginning.
Mix up some beef base in a cup of brewed coffee and use that as your liquid, drain and reserve before resting the brisket. add a bit more water to the liquid and put in freezer for an hour so to separate the fat. best Au jus you ever had! Also makes a killer gravy if thickened with corn starch, or a flour slurry!
You can also mix this up at the beginning of the cook and inject the brisket. Good luck. don't give up and keep us posted

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky