Searing Finish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Markmendonca

Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
Asking for opinions in regards to searing on Gas vs. Pellet Grill. Any drawbacks to taking off pellet grill & finishing the sear on gas @ high heat.

Reactions: JLeonard
If your pellet smoker can get to 500-600 you can just pull it off and get the pellet up to temp and do it there but if it doesn't or you don't want to then just get the grill hot and sear there. You could also put a cast iron pan on the grill and get it smoking hot and sear there too.

That's why I maintain a smoker and a gas grill. Each is very good at what they do best. Classic example for me is Tri-tip. I smoke it until 115-118º, pull and let it rest while the grill gets up to temp then finish with a sear on the grill. This is typically called a reverse sear.

My pellet grill gets up to around 550-600, and I've done the smoke at 180-200ish, pull the steak, crank up the heat and sear it. Pretty good results. To be honest, I prefer using my Weber with charcoal and smoke wood in the vortex, and the steak(s) surounding the center of the vortex. Take on some charcoal, and wood smoke for a while, and put the steak over the center of the vortex. That bastard gets screaming hot, and will sear the crap out of anything (including your hand). Better results than my pellet pooper any day of the week, and twice on Sunday!

Reactions: Markmendonca
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky