Sear temperature for steaks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chp

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2020
Colorado
A few months ago I modified a little smoker to work for making pizza. Now I am trying out grilling with it. I decided to grill up some steak, chicken, and sausage.
D72AE2F3-9BF4-4FDC-BE42-9F7A83A41FA8.jpeg

I prepared a mix of charcoal and lump charcoal.
A8C4DB16-75B1-4A56-8C7C-C00455C41EAA.jpeg

Then I brought the grill up to temperature. My IR sensor showed 940 for the metal of the grate directly above the coals and about 340 degrees between the coals and the outlet.
AB527C37-DFCF-45E6-AE1D-1FA138147701.jpeg

The challenge I had was flaming of anything that landed on the grate above the coals. It was definitely a sear! Then I let the meats sit off to the side of the coal bed until I reached the desired IT.
079CB21D-9ED2-4AAC-9984-FB7E7CB343B7.jpeg

584414DA-74AE-4DDA-AB56-D35D02A90158.jpeg
Fun little grill. What is the thought on an ideal sear temperature? Hotter the better or is there a sweet spot?

A few months ago I modified a little smoker to work for making pizza. Now I am trying out grilling with it. I decided to grill up some steak, chicken, and sausage.
View attachment 650905
I prepared a mix of charcoal and lump charcoal.
View attachment 650906
Then I brought the grill up to temperature. My IR sensor showed 940 for the metal of the grate directly above the coals and about 340 degrees between the coals and the outlet.
View attachment 650907
The challenge I had was flaming of anything that landed on the grate above the coals. It was definitely a sear! Then I let the meats sit off to the side of the coal bed until I reached the desired IT.
View attachment 650908
View attachment 650909Fun little grill. What is the thought on an ideal sear temperature? Hotter the better or is there a sweet spot?
Nice work!
I like about 600F degrees or a little over on my gas grill.
I find it can sear and chances of a flame starting from dripping fat/grease are lesser but CAN happen. Rubbing the steaks with a little olive oil and then seasoning will protect from burning should the sear cause the flame (that and me not paying attention enough while inside the house hahaha).

Reactions: jcam222
Anything over 600° works for me, but I use a reverse sear to make sure only the surface of the steak gets the sear. If you sear first, you’ll get something like 1/4” band of well done steak around the outside edge. I cook steaks at 250° until they reach 125° internal, then rest for 5-10 minutes, then sear at 600°+ for about 1 minute per side.

Reactions: chp
I've been known to sear my steaks the same way after a dunk in sous vide. It works great. I also do sear with a mapp gas torch if I'm feeling lazy lol.
I saw a really cool attachment for a torch for this. I think it was called searzall maybe.

Reactions: DougE
I received a set of sear grates with my RecTec. Tried them once in the RT, & didn’t like the result. So I cut them down to fit my Genesis, and they put on fantastic sear marks even at lower temps. I can easily sear a steak at 350 degrees, and you don’t have to worry about grease flare up’s either.
Al

I replaced the grates on my grill with GrillGrates. They do an excellent job while seriously controlling flare ups. By design, they do a better job transferring heat so much so they warn you about it. I've found using them that I actually lower the gas flow to just below the medium setting and get great results.

I received a set of sear grates with my RecTec. Tried them once in the RT, & didn’t like the result. So I cut them down to fit my Genesis, and they put on fantastic sear marks even at lower temps. I can easily sear a steak at 350 degrees, and you don’t have to worry about grease flare up’s either.
Al
I hadn’t heard of those before. Here is a picture-
64AEF341-A040-47DE-90A3-0C86E7D8A58A.jpeg

Interesting idea to transfer the heat. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky