Scrapple, French Bread, and Maple Syrup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Scrapple, French Bread, and Maple Syrup

Another Pennsylvania Dutch Favorite!
Things like this used to be a weekend Breakfast for me, because I used to eat a lot more, and I had more time on weekends to Pig Out.

Our All-Time Favorite Scrapple is made by Hatfield Meats. We like it more than any other store bought Scrapple, and I have never had any home made scrapple that I like more!! Hatfield Meats' home base is in Hatfield, PA---About 10 miles south of my original Bear Den, and about 25 miles from my current Bear Den.
So this time for Supper, I Sliced & Fried up some Good Old "Hatfield Scrapple".
Then I mixed a couple eggs with a little Milk, coated 2 slices of French Bread, and browned them good in a Hot buttered Pan.
Then I put some butter between & on top of the Toast, and poured enough Maple Syrup over the French Toast to allow some to spill over, to dip my Scrapple in.
This was a Full Meal for me, and hard to believe this used to be a light Breakfast!!
Still Mighty Tasty though!!

Thanks for stopping by,

Bear

This is a 5 lb Block of Scrapple. Nowadays we buy it in 1 lb packages:
1644845.jpg

Sliced up & ready for Pan:
IMG_3197.jpg

The way I like it---Thin & Crispy on the outside:
IMG_4303.jpg

LOL----European Meal---PA Dutch Scrapple with "French Bread" made with "Italian Bread":
IMG_4304.jpg

Topped with Vermont Maple Syrup:
IMG_4305.jpg

Dinner is Served:
IMG_4306.jpg

Last edited:
Looks Great, Never had Scrapple but i'll bet i'd like it (not much I don't like)

Like for sure

Gary

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, I'd love sitting down to that anytime Bear, even around midnight. Like, RAY

Yes sir another great meal by the Bear. That's way we do things around here thin and crisp.
A pointer on freezing scrapple if you freeze the whole block it becomes mealy and falls apart
when thawed.
Slice and freeze on a cookie sheet then bag it and fry as many slices as you want. Put right in
fry pan frozen.

Warren

Never had scrapple either . I looked for it at the place that carries the pork roll here . No go .
Always had butter and syrup on my french toast . Nice meal .

Only way I can get scrapple here is to make homemade. I did have some at a restaraunt in Portland Oregon. Theirs was made in house. No scrapple out West I guess

Dad made this for us every year. Remember it well and always loved it on a cold morning with eggs and bacon! See recipe in sig....

Oh yea! Fine looking breakfast Bear. I haven't had scrapple for a couple of years.....going to have to change that. Like

Yum!! Scrapple is a favorite of mine! I still have a bunch of homemade left (I cut an 8lb block into slices and vac seal portions)

I’ve never had the hatfield brand, looks like it fries up good though!!

Now, I’m hungry and probably making it for breakfast tomorrow! Like!!

Looks good. Finding Scrapple here is hit or miss. Scrapple, Egg and Cheese sandwiches are good too...JJ

I tried it once barely made it to the trash can, That is my Honest Opinion
Richie
Oh My wife was right behind me LOL

Bear,

Do not remember if I have had it when I lived down south (South Carolina and Southeast Florida), but I do remember it when I was a kid growing up in Cincinnati, it is called Goetta, somewhat different but similar, it is cut and fried for breakfast. Great with eggs over easy. But the french toast idea is one to try.

Sowsage Sowsage knows about it I believe, we talked about it in one of his posts. I found where I could get it online and a copycat recipe, just need to get some or make some. Thanks for the reminder.

LIKE!

John

Sowsage Sowsage Sowsage Sowsage knows about it I believe, we talked about it in one of his posts. I found where I could get it online and a copycat recipe, just need to get some or make some. Thanks for the reminder.
Goetta is pretty similar but made with oats instead of cornmeal. And I don't think it includes liver. But they are made using the same process I believe. Both are delicious in my book

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Bear thats a mighty fine looking breakfast! I may have to pick up some scrapple and make some with the French toast this weekend. I dont think my kids have had scrapple and I'm betting they would devour a plate like yours lol!

Bear

Another winner. I have seen the scrapple in loaves at the PA Dutch store down south
In Ephrata we used to make it with buckwheat flour in it.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky