Scotch Egg Failure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2017
Iowa
Not really sure where this should be posted.

Made some Scotch Eggs in the smoker and totally failed on the runny yolk part.

Started off boiling some eggs for 5 minutes then straight into an ice bath to stop the cooking.

20210622_123156.jpg

Peeled the eggs and wrapped in some Jimmy Dean's Hot Sausage that I divided into 6 equal portions of 75 grams.

20210622_130111.jpg

Once they were all wrapped I hit them with my custom rub.

20210622_130753.jpg

Into the smoker which is running at 250F. Goal was for them to be in there for 60 minutes. Just before the end (40 min mark) they were coated in some Famous Dave's Texas Pit BBQ Sauce and after about 10 minutes they were turned and coated on the other side for another 10 min

20210622_135729.jpg

20210622_141910.jpg

20210622_141915.jpg

Going for the money shots.. until I cut into it.

20210622_142142.jpg

20210622_142206.jpg

20210622_142226.jpg

I don't know if I boiled them too long or cooked them to long or too hot?

Any suggestions?

I don't know if I boiled them too long or cooked them to long or too hot?

Any suggestions?
First off, I would not call them a failure, the eggs look great and I certainly wouldn't turn them down. Nice job.

As for the yolks not being runny, I think maybe 3 minutes simmering and then into the ice bath, like Mike said. My suggestion would be experiment with the cook time for the eggs first before I'd do something different with the smoking.

Reactions: kilo charlie
5 minutes is a normal time to boil a done egg, I would bet 3 minutes would be closer to what ya need
It's weird to me as I do 7 minutes on my soft boiled Ramen eggs and they just begin to set.. but Thank you for the information!

First off, I would not call them a failure, the eggs look great and I certainly wouldn't turn them down. Nice job.

As for the yolks not being runny, I think maybe 3 minutes simmering and then into the ice bath, like Mike said. My suggestion would be experiment with the cook time for the eggs first before I'd do something different with the smoking.

Thank you !

And I will have to give them a go at 3 min next time! Appreciate it!

Tell you what... Screw up*** another dozen of those and I'll meet half way from MPLS area and buy them from you!!!
***Still looks good to me!

Haha! Thank you!

They're fairly easy to make so it'd probably be cheaper for you to whip some up and enjoy them fresh!
From what I understand they're not good at being reheated.
My neighbors were the lucky ones today and got to sample the ones I didnt eat! Haha

If it ain't burnt, slap some sauce on them and gobble those babies up.

Steaming eggs takes longer and gives a greater margin of error. Put a half inch of boiling water in a Dutch oven, then add a metal colander with the eggs. Cover and steam over medium heat. You'll have to test the time. More eggs extend the time further.

Last edited:
If it ain't burnt, slap some sauce on them and gobble those babies up.

Steaming eggs takes longer and gives a greater margin of error. Put a half inch of boiling water in a Dutch oven, then add a metal colander with the eggs. Cover and steam. You'll have to test the time. More eggs extend the time further.

Haha I ate 2 of them!

Thanks for the tip about steaming the eggs!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky