• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Scotch Egg Failure

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
They sure look good to me Charlie. I'm thinking 60 min. at 250* may have been to hot for to long a time.

Point for sure
Chris

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 25, 2017
They sure look good to me Charlie. I'm thinking 60 min. at 250* may have been to hot for to long a time.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you!

I probably should have went with a 3 min boil time and a shorter time @ 250... guess I'll have to try again!

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
WOW !
I’d still tear ‘em up.
Me too .
Those look great . I like hard boiled , but over easy for fried .
I've always heard soft boiled called a " 3 minute " egg .
Nice work I'd say .

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I have never made them, so I can’t really comment on them.
But even with the yolks cooked they sure look good.
Al

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Since I hate runny eggs these look fantastic!
I grew up on Runny Eggs. Soft Boiled, Over Easy and Sunny Side Up. Had a Buddy that would order Sunny Side Eggs, dip out the Yolks with toast and leave the Whites!☺

Thank you!

I probably should have went with a 3 min boil time and a shorter time @ 250... guess I'll have to try again!
Try 3 minute Eggs and Refrigerate to get them Cold. Wrap and get them in the Smoker. The Sausage will cook but not the Eggs...JJ

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 25, 2017
I grew up on Runny Eggs. Soft Boiled, Over Easy and Sunny Side Up. Had a Buddy that would order Sunny Side Eggs, dip out the Yolks with toast and leave the Whites!☺

Try 3 minute Eggs and Refrigerate to get them Cold. Wrap and get them in the Smoker. The Sausage will cook but not the Eggs...JJ
Thanks for the tip!

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
may be a failures to you.....But like others...I'd tear them up and not complain. Waiting to see how you adjust and the results on the next batch.
Jim

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 25, 2017
may be a failures to you.....But like others...I'd tear them up and not complain. Waiting to see how you adjust and the results on the next batch.
Jim
Thank you!

It seems the consensus is to do a 3 minute egg and then I have to find the sweet spot of how long it need to smoke for... might be a while before I can test it as there are storms predicted for the next 5-6 days here

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Thank you!
might be a while before I can test it as there are storms predicted for the next 5-6 days here
Yeah as of 7pm this evening I am off for 6 days. And its predicted to rain every day. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze in a little grilling while I'm off. If not I'll claim my territory in the kitchen and run the wife out.
Jim

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 25, 2017
Yeah as of 7pm this evening I am off for 6 days. And its predicted to rain every day. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze in a little grilling while I'm off. If not I'll claim my territory in the kitchen and run the wife out.
Jim
I was lucky enough to get 3 days of smoking in... now I'll have to work on kitchen recipes or hopefully some quick grilling projects!

Enjoy your time off!

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 25, 2017
Looks good to me. You just went from making scotch eggs, to dinosaur eggs. If there are any left you can split them in half, make deviled egg mix with the yolk and then have devilsaur eggs.
That's a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing that!

My neighbors benefitted from the "extras" that I had because I was afraid they wouldn't reheat well... but I'm totally going to have to try the Devilsaur Eggs too!

timberjet

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 29, 2010
this just gave me an idea for deviled scotch eggs. Hmmmm.... they do look delicious but like you I'm a soft boilled guy.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.