Scotch Barbecue Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

huhwhat

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Scotch Barbecue Sauce

2 tbs minced garlic

1/4 cup fresh diced onion

1 tbs ground chili pepper (Choose type for desired heat level)

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup diced green chilies

2 cups ketchup (I make my own)

1/2 cup molasses

1/3 cup scotch

1/4 cup brown mustard

2 tbs Worcestershire sauce

Sweat the garlic and onion in a sauce pan, with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. When done, add remaining ingredients to sauce pan and bring to a boil. Turn down to a low simmer and cook until desired thickness, stirring to keep it from scorching.

If you want it tangier, add 1/4 cup wine vinegar. If you want it sweeter, add 1/3 cup brown sugar.

Scotch Barbecue Sauce

2 tbs minced garlic
1/4 cup fresh diced onion
1 tbs ground chili pepper (Choose type for desired heat level)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup diced green chilies
2 cups ketchup (I make my own)
1/2 cup molasses
1/3 cup scotch
1/4 cup brown mustard
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce

Sweat the garlic and onion in a sauce pan, with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. When done, add remaining ingredients to sauce pan and bring to a boil. Turn down to a low simmer and cook until desired thickness, stirring to keep it from scorching.

If you want it tangier, add 1/4 cup wine vinegar. If you want it sweeter, add 1/3 cup brown sugar.

Well, if we really want to try your Scotch BBQ Sauce, we need your homemade ketchup recipe......

It does look good..... Dave

:popcorn

I haven't found a ketchup I like.... Most are too sweet with no flavor..... Maybe yours will be the one, the one and only,....... hum that to your favorite tune from the 50's.......

Last edited:
Homemade Ketchup

2-6 oz. cans of tomato paste

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp mustard powder

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 tsp ground cloves

1/8 tsp allspice

1/2 tsp ground cayenne

1/2 tsp smoked paprika

2/3 cup water

4 tbs white wine vinegar

Mix it all together thoroughly. You want to make sure the sugar dissolves, so I dissolve it in the water and vinegar, and then add the rest of the stuff. When it’s all mixed, jar it and let it sit in the fridge for a week or so to let the flavors meld.

That’s it, folks.

Oh, and if it's too sweet, you can always cut down on the brown sugar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky