Schmidt’s Bahama Moma sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
https://images.freshop.com/00789267018569/30c6104102e3651fe162eb28219aa9d8_large.png

The link above is a picture of the Bahama Moma from Schmidt’s. These are very popular at their restaurant in Columbus Ohio. I have gotten a request for something close to this sausage with cheddar. Trouble is I’ve never ate one and can’t find much to go on for a flavor profile and grind size. So to any who have a knock off recipe or have experience eating these sausage your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Seems to me it’s a pretty straightforward flavor of salt, pepper and garlic, but not sure if it’s emulsified or course ground or both.
Thanks in advance.

I have had the ones in the picture you posted. Its hard for me to describe in words what they are like. I can tell you the are very similar to these, maybe not as salty as the Johnsonville.

1645292289232.png

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Ive had these but its been a couple years ago ago had a family reunion dinner at the columbus location. Shape and size like a knockwurst ....maybe a touch smaller in diameter.... Emulsified... Pork and beef.. Probably not so much on the garlic but mustard seed and hot paprika... Hopefully this helps.

I have had the ones in the picture you posted. Its hard for me to describe in words what they are like. I can tell you the are very similar to these, maybe not as salty as the Johnsonville.

View attachment 526276
Ive had these but its been a couple years ago ago had a family reunion dinner at the columbus location. Shape and size like a knockwurst ....maybe a touch smaller in diameter.... Emulsified... Pork and beef.. Probably not so much on the garlic but mustard seed and hot paprika... Hopefully this helps.
I appreciate this a bunch. Thank you Both.
Im going to emulsify and shoot for a mustard and slightly spicy profile otherwise keep it simple, oh and I’m going to add a milk stout beer for moisture. Thanks again for the replies.

Might could play with this and dial it in

I saw that, which takes you to another smoking meat web site and they basically use a Texas hot link recipe. Ohio is a long way from Texas, but there is a heavy German influence on sausage in Texas, so I think I got the general direction and that recipe link you posted is definitely in line with where I’m headed. Except I’m going to emulsify And add cheddar.

Reactions: DougE and TNJAKE
Don't know if this helps at all, but I did a little recon for ya.

View attachment 526483
Thank you for that shot. I do appreciate it.
Im still tweaking. I’ve done an initial run that was “good” but need to adjust some things a little.
This is much closer to a bauernwurst than anything (farmer sausage) so the recipes are all over the board, but I think I know what to dial in on to make it purr. It’s simple salt, sugar, white and black pepper, garlic, paprika, Chile powder and cheddar. Flavor is very good.
Thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky