Saying Thanks To Dr. Flo: Smoked Beef Tenderloin (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
As some of you know, I had a mishap at work a couple weeks ago that turned out to be a lot more serious than I'd anticipated it would. I met Dr. Flo and her husband Jim about 15 years ago when I got the honor of building their new home after they decided to relocate from NYC to the north Austin area. We spent a lot of time together during the build process and got to be good friends. That friendship has continued since then. When the accident first happened I reached out to her for guidance and a prescription for antibiotics. After the trip to the ER the next morning at her direction, she was not overly pleased with the stuff the ER doc prescribed so she sent in a script for additional meds. She also demanded daily updates along with progress pics of the infection. I gave her our insurance info but she refused to bill for her time and effort. It only seemed to be the right thing to say "thank you" for all she did by doing the only thing I know how to do: cook her and Jim a nice meal. It doesn't get much nicer than CPB tenderloin roast so went that direction with some really good side dishes.

The roast. Just shy of 2 pounds.
001.jpg

Seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, and a good coating of black pepper
002.jpg

Did a cheesy jalapeno smashed potato casserole. Tracy wanted twice baked potatoes so this is sort of a spoof on that.
003.jpg

Cheese mixed into the taters but decided that more was in order
004.jpg

Made a cool, refreshing, and really tasty Greek zucchini salad
005.jpg

Basic appetizer plate with a couple of homemade sausages, smoked Gouda, and club crackers
006.jpg

Roast on the smoker at 3:00 at 245 and running cherry wood
007.jpg

Hard to see with the breeze but got some nice TBS going
008.jpg

Made some of our beloved sour cream and onion rolls. After the 3rd proof and ready to be baked
009.jpg

Cooked on the grill. Took about 15 minutes at 375 +/-
010.jpg

After 40 minutes I dropped the smoker temp to 180. Here we are an hour in
012.jpg

Some folks enjoying the pool. Somebody else has to cook
011.jpg

Time to put the potato casserole on the grill
013.jpg

Tracy got the dining room all dolled up. Too freakin' hot to eat outside
014.jpg

Roast done. Pulled it at 128.
015.jpg

All sliced up. Oh my goodness!!
016.jpg

The whole spread. Simple, basic, and not a lot of offerings but it was all very good
017.jpg

My first plate
018.jpg

Beef nirvana!!
019.jpg

Dr. Flo brought a Tiramisu for dessert
020.jpg

Sliced, drizzled with espresso, and served. The perfect culmination to an outstanding meal
021.jpg

Anytime you have good friends that is a blessing. To have friends like Jim and Dr. Flo is a true Godsend. It was an honor to prepare and serve them what both said was the best meal they have ever had. Personally I think they were more referencing the tenderloin itself but the sides were very good and complimented the meat perfectly. We've done the rolls many times and they are a staple. The salad was another shoot from the hip creation but it was outstanding. Now Flo wants me to write down the recipe. Huh? There isn't one :emoji_laughing: I've done a similar potato casserole before but took it to a new level this time and it's a keeper for sure. Oh well, it doesn't come close to all she did to help me through what could have been a very serious issue, but it's all she would accept.

Gonna call this one a wrap. Been a long thread but I felt it was worth the time to put it all on paper. Y'all take care and see everybody soon.

Robert

That's one of the best ways to thank someone, Robert! Man, that's an expertly prepared feast.

Heck of a story and a very nice gesture on your part. That plate shot is money. Looks so delicious. Very nice work.

Man when things look that good you dont need a lot of variety in a meal. All done perfectly to the eye. And that dessert.....A perfect ender to a great meal.
Jim

That tenderloin screams perfection on a plate Robert, I'd imagine Dr Flo was pretty darned thrilled with the entire meal, fantastic piece of work! RAY

The perfect color you always get on the beef is mouth watering. Another top notch job done with perfect detail.

Robert, very nice meal and glad your hear you foot is allowing you to function again!

The TL looks yummy!

You do have some really considerate friends! After a meal like that I would be waddling down the hall for a nap.

That Tiramisu sure looks good. I haven't had that in over a year. Never found a recipe I mastered and none of the restaurants in our region has anything worth trying twice.

What a great way to show your appreciation!
And a fantastic meal cooked to perfection for sure! Great post and a great job Robert !

Keith

As always the food looks great but the pool makes me jealous.

Nailed it again! Looks awesome! And your pool looks mighty inviting also!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky