Sausages ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
foam, that is some great looking sausage,makes me want to dig out my grinder for some veal brats,pork shoulder on sale this week for .99 a lb.veal is a lot higher but such is life.

Thank you.

Listen Pork finally went on sale here two weeks ago, first time this year! There is nothing better (even if ya screw up) better than your own sausages! Its kinda like when you cranked that old Ice cream machine..... best ice cream ebber!

Went hunting for your cajun sausage recipe and I see it's an heirloom. That's cool, I get it. Have a few myself. Do you at least have any pointers of what REAL cajun sausage should taste like to the uninitiated?

Sausage recipes are just like smoking recipes. You ask 100 people you'll at least 50 different recipes all being slightly different mostly due to geography which will contribute to availability. I have been making gumbo for a long time, and never did I know how important thyme was to Louisiana cooking till I came here and sat thru a lesson from Boyka (and he ain't no where near a coonazz but a good guy anyway).

Cajun sausage, its pretty easy. Take you favorite kielbasa recipe and cut the garlic amount in half. That is cajun sausage. Its is NOT hot, nor really spicy. When ever I was roaming around the country and world, when I needed sausage for a gumbo or jambalaya I could always get Kielbasa at any local store. I was just remember NOT to add the garlic to the pot as normal.

I know you'll add a bunch of cayenne thinking it will make it cajun, remember what ever you put in the sausage, you'll put in the pot. If you make it HOT it will make everything you cook with it HOT also.

Reactions: zwiller
Went hunting for your cajun sausage recipe and I see it's an heirloom. That's cool, I get it. Have a few myself. Do you at least have any pointers of what REAL cajun sausage should taste like to the uninitiated?

Here ya go, this will make a good one...

Watch both videos for the smoke sausage recipe.

I like my smoke sausage through a 1/4" (6mm) plate. I grind my fresh sausages through a 3/8"(10mm) plate.

*edit to add: no need to got all the way up to 165* INT on the sausage, Go to 154* for 12 minutes and that is good enough to cook the sausage because it has cure in it. You will have less fat out and the sausage will stay together much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Thanks for sharing guys!!! So, I gotta ask with Thanksgiving approaching... Is turducken a legit cajun thing?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky