Sausage tips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sweden huh, How about adding that to you profile so we don't give you the wrong info by mistake.

Yes your cure #1 has a tenth of the amount of Nitrite then ours does. so when copying one of our recipes you'll need to adjust the amount of cure and salt accordingly.

do you have any pic's of the inside of the sausage in question? might help.

Last edited:
Hello again!

Here are some photos of my sausage!
This one has been smoked for a short time (2-3 hours), but in about 90-100 degrees C, since I had a hard time holding the temperature in my grill at a low lvl...

This one has been frozen after the smoking.

1feb11d0_1.png

c9dec942_2.png

If you can find buckwheat flour try it. Makes soy protein look bad. The Lancaster County PA, Amish use it in their sausage for years and years, also good in scrapple.

If you use Ames Phos please use it per the instructions.

The only binder I add to sausage Is love.....................
biggrin.gif

Joe

Is the sausage in your picture completely thawed or is it still a bit frozen?  The texture looks fine.  Tell us again exactly what it is about the texture you're trying to change?

Yes, I agree with Cat, looks real good to me. Maybe we aren't understanding what you mean with the texture.

I am thinking if he cooked them at 230 degrees he cooked them instead of smoked them, which means he had a fat out and his sausage is dry and crumbly, thats my guess anyways
Good point BigC. Although the original posted sausage was done at a lower temp the last one posted was at 90°-100°c which is 190°-210°F that could cause it to fat out for sure.

I think you're on to it BC!  100 C = 212 F.... that fat had to render out.  Great catch.

I just went back and re-read his first post... he states he smoked them at 70 C which is 158 F....that should have been OK for the first batch not to render too much fat... hmmmm, now I'm really perplexed....

Last edited:
Another thought is that it is being “Over Work”, grinding it too much, allowing it get to warm and working the fat to the outside, then it will stick to the grinding equipment and get left behind....before stuffing it or cooking it. Chilling the meat really well before grinding and depending on how many grinds, maybe chilling it between grinds will help retain the fat.  I can’t tell from the picture, but it doesn’t look like it is in a casing....that can dry it out faster that if it were in a casing too......ShoneyBoy

Hello all again :)

When I got the question about how I REALLY want to change the texture, I started to think, and perhaps the texture is fine really, maybe I'm just not used to home made sausages!

I will do another test in a few weeks, with curing, proper smoking, and some more grinding! You will indeed get the result presented here! :)

Hallo again everyone!

I've done some research regarding Nitrate and Cure. I've talked to the local sausage maker and read some.

Today this article came out:

(translated with Google Translate)

http://translate.google.se/translat...och-vin/korv-okar-risk-for-cancer_6767899.svd

Also I heard that a huge food store in sweden, the largest one here has a policy to put Nitrates in their sausages.
At the same time in Great Britain, they forbidded the use of Nitrates. Strange how different people look at this!

I will warmsmoke my sausage to the correct temperature or if I cold smoke it, place it in the freezer directly after smoking it, and cooking it before eating it.

I think I'll skip the curing.

Hallo again everyone!

I've done some research regarding Nitrate and Cure. I've talked to the local sausage maker and read some.

Today this article came out:

(translated with Google Translate)

http://translate.google.se/translat...och-vin/korv-okar-risk-for-cancer_6767899.svd

Also I heard that a huge food store in sweden, the largest one here has a policy to put Nitrates in their sausages.
At the same time in Great Britain, they forbidded the use of Nitrates. Strange how different people look at this!

I will warmsmoke my sausage to the correct temperature or if I cold smoke it, place it in the freezer directly after smoking it, and cooking it before eating it.

I think I'll skip the curing.

If you are going to skip the cure You can cold smoke the sausage for a little time but I see no need since you are going to hot smoke the sausage. The internal temperature needs to reach 140 degrees in 4 hrs. I would hot smoke at 225 degrees. That should be ample  time to have the sausage cooked in 4 hrs.....

Good luck and dont forget to post some pics of your process

Joe

Last edited:
I live near the Sausage Maker factory.  Owner told me that it's the powdered dextrose in the sausage that gives it the creamy consistency that I believe your looking for.  Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky