Sausage & Barley "Stew"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
In keeping with the comfort food run here lately I thought I'd share one of our favorites.
An ex coworker wrote this down several years ago. I don't know where he got it. I think he made it up himself.
As written:
3 Tb butter or olive oil
1 package baby carrots
3 stalks celery
1 medium onion
1# smoked sausage (I used my beef sausage this time)
1 can diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 tsp thyme
beef stock (I use broth)
1 1/2 cups barley

Yeah, it leaves some room for interpretation and this is mine.
ingredients.jpg cut sausage.jpg
Saute onions, carrots and celery. Brown the sausage.
saute.jpg browned.jpg
Mix together, add broth to cover with the tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme and garlic and bring to a boil.
broth.jpg
Add barley and simmer until barley is puffed up. You'll need to add more broth....
barley.jpg
With a couple slices of sourdough it's a meal.
bowl.jpg
The barley really sucks up the broth. I like mine "thick" but the Mrs. likes a little more "juice", so tonight I'll add more broth to hers.....
Thanks for looking and stay comfortable!
Dan

Last edited:
Looks delicious Dan! Good stick to your ribs soup...I like it thick as well. Endless I have fresh bread for dipping then need more liquid.

Ryan

Reactions: SmokyMose
Looks great!! All these soup and stew posts have me ready to make one. With the winter blast coming it’s about time. I love soups with sausage like that in them too.

Sounds pretty tasty Dan. Now you reminded me about my sourdough. It may be to late to get my starter going now for Christmas. Dang it! I don't bake to often so I just use my dried starter when ready. Takes 2 days to get ready and 2 days to prepare. Guess I will start it now and see what happens.

Sounds pretty tasty Dan. Now you reminded me about my sourdough. It may be to late to get my starter going now for Christmas. Dang it! I don't bake to often so I just use my dried starter when ready. Takes 2 days to get ready and 2 days to prepare. Guess I will start it now and see what happens.
Thanks, Brian! I made a couple of loaves last week and I didn't use the discard to get another starter going for fridge and weekly feeding. I may regret that, but I only do sourdough every month or so and I was tired of using up flour.
I have some dried crumbled starter but have never used it. What do you do, add a little to jumpstart a new starter?

The barley really sucks up the broth. I like mine "thick" but the Mrs. likes a little more "juice"
You and your wife sound like me and my wife. either way, Ill take a big heaping bowl Please. I love pretty much anything with barley....even in liquid form :emoji_wink:

Robert

You and your wife sound like me and my wife. either way, Ill take a big heaping bowl Please. I love pretty much anything with barley....even in liquid form :emoji_wink:

Robert
John Barleycorn and I have been friends for a long time :emoji_slight_smile:

Last edited:
Thanks, Brian! I made a couple of loaves last week and I didn't use the discard to get another starter going for fridge and weekly feeding. I may regret that, but I only do sourdough every month or so and I was tired of using up flour.
I have some dried crumbled starter but have never used it. What do you do, add a little to jumpstart a new starter?
I use this but use 1 tsp instead of a half. Want to keep in fairly warm place. I usually start in evening than next morning ready to start feeding.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky