Sausage and Kale Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Here’s a good and hearty soup that I shared with tx smoker tx smoker . It can be made with a variety of sausages. My wife and I make this a few times during the winter months. It’s a soup we keep coming back to.
47FE683C-EC65-4810-BE38-B545962B236D.jpeg

Sausage and Kale Soup

1lb. Smoked kielbasa or other ringed sausage, cut into slices or quartered slices
3 potatoes cubed (I used Yukon)
2 onions chopped
1 bunch of kale torn into small pieces
5 garlic cloves minced
1 jar of stewed tomatoes OR 1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed OR white beans
32oz. Chicken broth
2TBSP olive oil
1tsp. Salt
1/2tsp. Pepper
2 Bay leaves
—————————————————-

Heat oil over medium heat, cook potatoes and onions until onions turn translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add chopped kale and garlic and cook until kale is wilted, about 3 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.

Add extra salt and pepper to taste.

Notes: An alternative way to make this is you can brown the kielbasa first, remove and cook the onions and potatoes in a little reserved grease. I add the meat with the rest of the ingredients because I find that it’s not as greasy as cooking the kielbasa first.
————-

In the soup pictured above, I used andouille. I thought it leant a nice warmth and spiciness to the dish. My wife thought this batch was pretty spicy but she had no problems eating it for multiple meals...YMMV

Thanks for looking

Joe

Well Joe...you went and did it again. I printed this recipe when you sent it to me then found out that Tracy is not a big fan of kale. That kinda broke my heart because I love it. Somehow I've let this slip into obscurity when I originally thought about an alternative to the kale and have not gotten around to making it. My bad because this looks SOOO good and I have a ton of homemade sausages in the freezer I could choose from. Excellent job my friend and thank you for bringing it back into the forefront of my little cranium. Very much LIKE this one!!

Robert

Looks fantastic Joe!
Tis the season for soups & chili!
It finally is going to be in the mid 80's today & tomorrow, so I'm thinking chili!!
Al

I would suppose you could substitute any of the cabbage family for the kale: european or asian cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

Interesting you would share this. I had pretty much decided to use cabbage, possibly red cabbage just for some additional color. There's a good chance I'll make this today.

Robert

Damn Joe that looks great! Thanks for sharing. I can see this and a couple of the soups Robert shared in my near future. Went from 75 yesterday morning to 35 last night here. Made a big pot of smoked chicken noodle soup to warm up and use up the rest of my smoked birds!

Well Joe...you went and did it again. I printed this recipe when you sent it to me then found out that Tracy is not a big fan of kale. That kinda broke my heart because I love it. Somehow I've let this slip into obscurity when I originally thought about an alternative to the kale and have not gotten around to making it. My bad because this looks SOOO good and I have a ton of homemade sausages in the freezer I could choose from. Excellent job my friend and thank you for bringing it back into the forefront of my little cranium. Very much LIKE this one!!

Robert

No problem Robert and thanks for the kind words. I think it’s a good soup to share. We really enjoy the kale in it, I haven’t tried substituting it out because my wife and I both like kale. It’s not bitter in the soup as kale sometimes can be. If you enjoy mustard or collard greens, I think you would enjoy the kale.

Joe looks great I never tried Kale going to give it a try.
Richie

Thanks Richie, if you like collard greens you will like the kale in the soup. It softens but still retains its texture which my wife and I both love. It doesn’t wilt to mush like spinach.

You could use smoked keilbasa or store bought ringed keilbasa like Johnsonville. The andouille adds some heat.

Damn Joe that looks great! Thanks for sharing. I can see this and a couple of the soups Robert shared in my near future. Went from 75 yesterday morning to 35 last night here. Made a big pot of smoked chicken noodle soup to warm up and use up the rest of my smoked birds!

Smoked chicken noodle soup sounds great to me John! We hit the low 70s yesterday and right now it’s still in the 30s.

If you give this soup a try let me know how you like it, and it’s always better the next day.

I would suppose you could substitute any of the cabbage family for the kale: european or asian cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

They sound like they all would work. That’s the great thing about soup, it’s very versatile and usually made with ingredients you have on hand.

Interesting you would share this. I had pretty much decided to use cabbage, possibly red cabbage just for some additional color. There's a good chance I'll make this today.

Robert

If you use substitute out the kale, let me know how it goes. Since Stacy and I both love the kale in it, we would probably never sub it out unless we couldn’t get it...then cabbage or another hearty, leafy green will work in a pinch.

Change it and make it yours! Hopefully you enjoy it....are you gonna use some andouille or cajun sausage?

Looks great Joe. It is soup season alright!

Thanks Steve!! Today definitely is the start of soup season. What a difference a day makes. Hopefully the leaves dry and I could them raked before snow hits.

Change it and make it yours! Hopefully you enjoy it....are you gonna use some andouille or cajun sausage?

I have Andouille and Cajun in the freezer as well as a ton of other homemade sausages, quite a few of which are my creations. I'm going to sit down later and really digest the ingredients of this before deciding which sausage to use. Sometimes it's a blessing to have options, sometimes it's a curse :emoji_anguished:

Robert

Thanks Richie, if you like collard greens you will like the kale in the soup. It softens but still retains its texture which my wife and I both love. It doesn’t wilt to mush like spinach.

You could use smoked keilbasa or store bought ringed keilbasa like Johnsonville. The andouille adds some heat.

Joe I probably will like it,as for the sausage I'll stick mine.To replace the Kale you could probably use Mustard Greens another on my list to try.
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky