Saturday's Beef Ribs and Baby Backs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by worktogthr, Oct 7, 2015.

1. worktogthr

worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Finally had some time to do a longish smoke. Was reinstalling the flooring in my den after some water got in the house so I figured I'd fire up the PBC.

Started with a rack of baby backs and a rack of beef ribs that I cut myself off of a whole rib roast.

Rubbed baby backs with my sweet and spicy dry rub and the beef ribs with SPOG...

Forgot the rubbed pic of the beef ribs.

Threw them on the PBC with hickory and apple chunks embedded and on top of the coals, hung them and shut the lid.

After about three hours I took a peek and decided to foil them. Beef ribs with some
    Beef broth and the baby backs with apple juice.

Here they are after spending about an hour an half in the foil.

Sauced the baby backs and gave hem and the beef ribs about another half hour to firm up.

Here is the end result:

Some gratuitous eating photos:

Man, the PBC makes some great ribs. I noticed my cooking times are a little longer than the suggested times on the PBC website but doesn't make much of a different to me since I am usually in no rush when making ribs. My guess it was running around 250-275 rather than the suggested 280-300. I've said this before and I'll say it again. In all of my smoking experience, beef ribs are definitely my favorite smoke! Thanks for looking!

bearcarver and mike5051 like this.
  2. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Nice ribs!  Those beef ribs look amazing.  I wish I could find some meaty ribs like that in my neighborhood.

[​IMG]

3. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

They look pretty good from here.

Richie

4. worktogthr

Thanks so much for the points!  Around here the full racks are usually pretty bad too as far as meatiness goes.  That why when I bought the whole rib roast I decided to cut myself a proper rack.

5. worktogthr

Thanks a lot Richie!  I enjoyed the leftovers for dinner last night!

6. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Exactly!!

That's what I do every December. Get my year's stock of Prime Rib & cut the Ribs off (with some extra meat on them). I save the Ribs all together for a nice smoke or two of Beef Ribs.[​IMG]

Beef Ribs are by far my favorite, and Yours look Fantastic!![​IMG][​IMG]-------------------[​IMG]

Gotta Love 'em!!

Nice Job!![​IMG]

Bear

7. worktogthr

Thanks for the kind words and the points Bear! Like you, I have a love of all things beef and these ribs are definitely the top of my list. They are tender and juicy but not greasy. My doctor wouldn't be so thrilled with my love for them haha

-Chris

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015