Saturday Smoke Fiasco Averted

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
Saturday Smoke Fiasco Averted

Last week my #1 son called me and asked if I would mind smoking something simple for a get together he and his buddy was having Saturday night. I said sure. He said I know you don't feel really good, so something that doesn't take long and easy, like chickens. I said no problem I'll get em done.
So I noticed the store had chickens on sale. I headed to the store and got 5 chickens, a brisket, a pork butt and 5 lbs. of sausage, Beans and stuff to make BBQ sauce.
(If I am going to cook I am gunna do it right)

Saturday Morning: got up at 5:30 AM fired up my smoker and prepped the Brisket and Butt..
6:00 AM Both on the smoker time to kick back, drink a little coffee and chill.
Now we had company come in Friday evening so everyone is still sleeping. Nice and quite.About 8:00 everyone is starting to stir.
Nephew made a run to Mickey D's for breakfast. after we all sat around, drank some coffee and ate a little My wife and the company decided to go to town to some of the shops and stores they like.
I'm cooking bacon and getting it ready to start making the beans, Brisket and Pork Butt looking good, Chicken sleeping in a cooler full of brine, everything going good.
Then -- Niece come out of bathroom and said the shower was not draining and there was some water in the floor, I know I had that Deer in the headlights look, I knew exactly whatit was, I went outside and opened up the clean out to the sewer, stopped up.
Company in the house, meat on the smoker and me playing in the sewer.
I said ya'll go on and do what ever you was gunna do, I've got this.
Got it fixed cleaned up, took a shower and back to smoking
I only got a few pics because of all that was going on, didn't even get a pic of the sausage and everything on the smoker, Dang
But here is the few I did get.

This was after 6 hours of smoke, wrapped and back on

IMG_0599.jpg

BBQ sauce (Homemade)
IMG_0600.jpg

Chicken, I nwish I would have taken a pic with them all on the smoker

IMG_0602.jpg

3 wrapped 2 in the tub
IMG_0603.jpg

Beans are ready
IMG_0604.jpg

And the Brisket I didn't get a shot of the Sausage or Pork Butt Sorry I know, I know no
pics it didn't happen Trust me it happened Just one of those days.
IMG_0605.jpg

The Food was the Hit of the party Son aid everyone just went on and on. about 6 or 7 of the folks were from Ecuador

Thanks for looking

Gary

That's a beauty of a smoke Gary especially under the circumstances. Nice to see you can be both a smoker and a Ed Norton(honeymooners) at the same time.

Point for sure.

Chris

OMG !!
That Brisket you make is always the biggest Hit.:)
That's why you're my Goto Guy whenever anybody asks about Brisket!!!
"Like" for overcoming adversities in the drainage area, and still getting 'er doooon!!
Nice Job, Gary!!

Bear

Gary, food looks great as usual. I hope there wasn’t too much damage with the backed up sewer line. That situation could go south quickly.

Ha wow I know I’m a newbie but no way I could deal with plumbing, smoking and hosting guests at once.

Fantastic looking food .. I’m actually hungry now haha

I feel like I’ve had one of those days! Nice job on everything! Gotta love those early morning cooks when everyone else is asleep. Pot of coffee, good food on the smoker, family and friends...man, that’s hard to beat with or without sewage issues!!

Reactions: Alex Douglas
Great save my friend. The last thing you needed was a plugged sewer in the middle of a Smoke.
That was a heck of a Smoke for a fella who's under the weather!! Everything looks fantastic--the brisket and beans (naturally) and those chickens look so good even I would be lining up for a piece or two.
POINT
Gary

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the nice comments.
It was a PITA but you just have to get er done .
#1 son said the Brisket and Pork Butt went pretty quick and everybody really loved the beans.

I like smoking when people enjoy it

Gary

Reactions: Bearcarver
I walked down to the basement last wednesday to thaw out a porkbutt and took one step onto the carpets and water splashed. Sewer line backed up from the main flooding half the basement. Sadly no smoking took place this weekend as we worked on tearing the carpet out and getting the nasty stuff cleaned up.

Everything looks delicious as usual Gary!
Nothing seems to get in your way of making great BBQ!
Nicely done!!
Al

Thanks again, Al I was at the point of no return just had to get it done.

Hey thanks for the likes guys

Gary

Well by golly Gary, if that's what you can do when you're NOT feeling good, I'd hate to see what you can do when you ARE feeling good. Awesome cook brother !!! LIKE

Thank you

Gary

Thanks, Yep it was of those OH SNAP days

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky