Saturday sausage snack stick making day w/beef pork and buffalo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ats32

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 25, 2012
Michigan
Decided to try out my new LEM stuffer. A little inconsistent at first but I am getting the hang of it...so much nicer than using a kitchenaid.

Here is buffalo and pork. Beef to be made throughout the day!

I love sausage season........ The weather cools and the sausage forum get busy....................
popcorn.gif

21 mm collagen casings

Premix from Hi Mountain. Pepperoni and Jalapeno but I doctored them up. Added cayenne pepper and granulated garlic to both mixes.

MES40 smoker

Using AMNPS with pitmaster blend.

I plan on no smoke for an hour at 110 then 4-5 hours of smoke at 120F-140F, then bringing IT to 155 for finish. Quick ice bath and back to the fridge for resting.

Also 80/20 beef...the buffalo sticks are experiemental as I used 2lbs of very lean buffalo and 1lb of spicy pork sausage mix.

They're already starting to look great and it has only been two hours!

Made it to 180F a couple hours ago and they're still SLOWLY climbing. Only at 132F right now...usually faster than this.

Finished drying for a couple hours and now lightly open ended wrapped in paper towel and wax paper. Will trim, size up, and bag tomorrow!

Last edited:
Char junkie ask what I wanted to know too, but I also have the Lem stuffer but the white plastic tubes don't work for me on snack sticks.  Did you buy a stainless steel one?  I tried a poly tube/zip tie mod, but what a pain in my pork butt.  Any advice or photos would be awesome because I bought all this stuff to try and perfect a good snack stick.

Char junkie ask what I wanted to know too, but I also have the Lem stuffer but the white plastic tubes don't work for me on snack sticks.  Did you buy a stainless steel one?  I tried a poly tube/zip tie mod, but what a pain in my pork butt.  Any advice or photos would be awesome because I bought all this stuff to try and perfect a good snack stick.
The stuffing tubes that come with the stuffer won't work with small snack stick size casings - you will need the SS 3/8" tube.

Last edited:
Wow...those look excellent. I just finished a batch of Brats, taking a rest and now am looking for another project. I used collagen once with my Lem and it seemed to work OK on the smaller tube but am thinking of investing in the SS one. I just got a catalog from Lem and they had lots of toys in there I'd like. I've found, and not sure if this pertains to everybody, that I need to go very slow with the cranking out of the Brat sized sausages or I'll have blowouts and other issues that p*** me off, errrrrr frustrate me. A foot pedal would be nice for hands free but I'm not sure if it would run faster than I could manage......Willie

Wow...those look excellent. I just finished a batch of Brats, taking a rest and now am looking for another project. I used collagen once with my Lem and it seemed to work OK on the smaller tube but am thinking of investing in the SS one. I just got a catalog from Lem and they had lots of toys in there I'd like. I've found, and not sure if this pertains to everybody, that I need to go very slow with the cranking out of the Brat sized sausages or I'll have blowouts and other issues that p*** me off, errrrrr frustrate me. A foot pedal would be nice for hands free but I'm not sure if it would run faster than I could manage......Willie
Chef Willie...Foot Pedal... got an old sewing machine around?  Makes me wonder why it wouldn't work, I know you can get a slow speed on a sewing machine.... Just a thought......Might have to go rummaging in the spring.....

Ron

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky