Saturday Ribs on the Offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Started the day off yesterday morning my turning my SQ36 180º for no good reason, lesson learned, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I had the firebox door pointing east rather than west the way it had been for the last nine months. Fired up a stack of hickory splits around nine in the morning with my weed torch
DSCN1653.JPG

The night before I made a batch of chilerelleno chilerelleno 's basic hog rub and gave a rack of pork ribs a nice coating after slathering with mustard, on the grill at ten
DSCN1654.JPG

I fed the SQ36 a steady diet of hickory splits for 7&1/2 hours running 270º-285º. I pulled the rack at 201º, no wrap, toothpick probe tender, brushed on some SBR and let it rest for 15 minutes
DSCN1656.JPG

Plated the ribs up with some beans and tater salad. The ribs had a rich smoke flavor with a ideal bite, not FOTB but as tender as could be.
DSCN1658.JPG

I have to admit that it's a lot easier to smoke a butt or rack of ribs on my Pro 100 electric, but the flavor imparted from a good offset smoker can't be beat. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it, thanks for lookin' in! RAY

Looks pretty darned good to me Ray. I only see one thing lacking from that dinner though....my plate!! Seriously my friend, good looking plate all around. Nice job.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
That's a great meal right there . I should have got something out to cook today .
Nice work !
I've been using wood chunks in the MES 30 for higher temp cooks . Huge difference in flavor .

Fantastic lookin' meal there Ray!
I did a couple of pork tenderloins with Jeff's rub....forgot to get pics so I guess it didn't really happen.
LIKE! John

Good grief John, a camera on hand when smoking is as important as beer! Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks pretty darned good to me Ray. I only see one thing lacking from that dinner though....my plate!! Seriously my friend, good looking plate all around. Nice job. Robert

Well there would have been plenty for the both of us Robert, Jan doesn't eat ribs. Thanks for the Like amigo, mucho appreciendo. RAY

Nice looking plate Ray! Could imagine sitting down with a plate like that at a picnic. Haven't had tater salad in awhile, gonna have to change that now.

Ryan

That's a great meal right there . I should have got something out to cook today . Nice work ! I've been using wood chunks in the MES 30 for higher temp cooks . Huge difference in flavor .

Thanks Rich! I was real darned happy with the flavor and texture. Turning the ass end of the smoker around changed everything, the dampers and heat control were like starting all over again. I'm changing it back to the way it was when I go out to clean things up in a bit. RAY

Well there would have been plenty for the both of us Robert, Jan doesn't eat ribs. Thanks for the Like amigo, mucho appreciendo. RAY

Damn dude....all I needed was an invite. I'd have brought the beer and the bourbon, as well as a couple Cuban cigars if you wanted :emoji_astonished:

Missed another one,
Robert

Ribs are still my favorite thing to smoke and those look amazing! Good job Sir!

Pork ribs are one of my favorite meats to smoke also, but I sure do like smokin' beef short ribs too! Thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Nice meal, those ribs look phenomenal!

I'd have liked to make some cole slaw with this meal, that's my standard for ribs. Haven't seem a head of cabbage at the market for quite awhile now. Thank you for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Nice looking plate Ray! Could imagine sitting down with a plate like that at a picnic. Haven't had tater salad in awhile, gonna have to change that now. Ryan

These days picnics take place in the backyard, and looks like they will be for quite awhile. Thanks for the Like Ryan, I do appreciate it. RAY

Last edited:
Damn dude....all I needed was an invite. I'd have brought the beer and the bourbon, as well as a couple Cuban cigars if you wanted :emoji_astonished:
Missed another one, Robert

You've got a open-ended invite Robert, just let me know when your coming. I've always got a couple of A Fuente Churchills around in case you forget the Cohibas. RAY

Looks fantastic Ray!
I almost fired up the Lang this AM.
Have a few racks of BB’s in the freezer.
Definitely gonna do a rack in the next few days for sure!
Hope mine look as good as yours!
Al

You've got a open-ended invite Robert, just let me know when your coming. I've always got a couple of A Fuente Churchills around in case you forget the Cohibas. RAY

That's all fine, dandy, and appreciated Ray but I never got notice you were cooking the damned things :emoji_disappointed:

I won't forget the Cohibas but got several others. Partagas Series D #4 is one of my favorites but also have a bunch of Fuente Don Carlos and quite a few in the Hemingway line. Those are some good smokes!! Need to go and inventory now that you got me thinking. May be time to reach out to my buddy in London and get some more shipped this way.

Robert

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
I will bring my Macanudos...have never had a real cuban cigar.

So are you a cigar aficionado too John? If so, please post a pic of your humidor. I have a monster cabinet I built about 30 years ago and it's loaded to the gills. I'll post up a couple pics later.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky