Sandblasting barrels in Philly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RoodyPooBBQ

Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
I got a couple of food-grade drums from a recycler, but they have the tan liner inside. Anyone in the Philly area (preferably inside the city) know where I can get these things sandblasted for a reasonable price? I've struck out with a couple of metal workers. Was going to hit up some body shops next.

I’m sure there’s a commercial stripping operation in your area. The one around here can get just about any finish off without buggering up the underlying metal.

They have done some impressive work on several projects for me, and always at reasonable prices (like $50 for a set of 5 truck wheels, a Harley frame for $100, and more airplane parts than I care to remember.
Stuff comes back in the white protected with a water-soluble rust inhibitor.

(And, while I do have the equipment to blast one myself, my time is worth way more than what they charge to do a better job)

I just don't know how to find "stripping" or "sandblasting" shops. It's not like McDonalds where they have big signs that say "UDS Sandblasting" on them, and so far the ones I've called won't do small jobs. I might just show up somewhere and slip someone $50 and see what happens.

I also got VHT "Strip Fast" which claims to be able to remove pretty much any coating, so I'll give that a shot first.

Burn it out, then hit it with a grinder and a buffing wheel....good to go.

I live in a very urban neighborhood of the city - if I did any kind of burn, the fire department would be there immediately, and I don't have the patience to take it out to some field and let it burn until complete (since I have no idea how long that would even be.

Just call an autobody shop, and see if they'll do it when they're doing a car.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky