Salted Smoked Kippers ( Herring)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gsdressler

Fire Starter
Original poster
Hello everyone.

I am looking for some smoked kippers that used to be readily avilable some time ago, but can't seem to find them anyore. They were herring fillets with  many of the bones still intact, and were very very salty. They were sold in small wooden boxes to suppliers, and then repackaged  on grocer trays or sold in bulk wrapped in freezer paper. They were cold smoked, I believe, so they would not need refridgeration. Does anyone know if these fish are still available, and where I could possibly find them?

Thank you!!

Greg

MMMmmmmm, sounds great !

Can't help you with those, but I like these little snack cans (below).

Mrs Bear gets them for me at the Dollar store.

T0L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-18TopRight00_AA300_SH20_.jpg

Bear

Hi Bear,

Yes, these are very good, that's foresure. I am able to get these at all of my local grocers. But, they still aren't what I'm looking for. The ones I'm looking for are a dry, salted, smoked fillet.

Thanks for the repy!!

Greg

Hi Bear,

Yes, these are very good, that's foresure. I am able to get these at all of my local grocers. But, they still aren't what I'm looking for. The ones I'm looking for are a dry, salted, smoked fillet.

Thanks for the repy!!

Greg
Yup---That's what I figured.

Bear

something like these blind robins?

http://www.wholey.com/moblrohe.html

I post about these on another thread. In order to not require refrigeration they need to have a 17% salt content.......Gag....But I ate my share back in the day
Those are the real McCoy!!  Yup, exactly what I was referring to. Thanks for the info Dan!!  I just hope I can have them shipped to me here in Canada. Thanks again!!

Greg

Thank you for all of your help on this. I talked to my local grocer here at IGA(Sobey's) and I can get the smoked herring from them. The only drawback is that I must purchase a ten pound case. That should last for awhile. I best be stocking up on the suds.....going to be allot of thirsty days soon.

Thanks to all that helped me out finding these, but believe it or not, I found that I can get them locally.....never would have thought it would be possible. My local IGA ( Sobeys) and Co-op can special order them for me. Like I said earlier though, they only come in 10 pound cases. But they will last a looonnggg time!!!

Thanks again everyone!!

Greg

This may be too far away, but the Price Chopper in Cortland NY often has them. I'm eating some now. $8 a pound.

Do you have the smoked kippers that were taken from the shelves several years ago? We have been unable to find any that compared to those processed in The Canadian Maritimes? The ones we liked had a Scotish Tartan on the package. I believe it was red with green and blue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky